• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

My last day is 12 January 2024. Almost 40 years working in the field of electrical engineering. I am confident I won't miss shitty, dysfunctional, incompetent, greedy, deceptive corporate America. Plan on wrenching on the road runner to get it back on the road, catch up on the honey dew list, visit Barrett Jackson on a weekday, and relax until the end of February. Then I will apply for a part time job at O'Reilly, ACE Hardware, etc.
Well Congrats bro.

I had a feeling it was coming. Enjoy the hell outa it

My last day was Dec 22 2023

I might look at something part time next year., but I have house projects to last me a while

Putting a new Patio door in next week. Its been sitting on the back patio since Oct

Congratulations! I will probably never "retire" from driving my truck, but I can basically do it when I want/as needed ( my pocket money, not their needs). Of course medical may catch up and force me out, good so far.

Got a call last week from a former boss (and earlier, a protegee). Asking me if I would consider doing a consulting gig for him. I've been retired for a year now, with no financial incentive to work. If it had been anyone else, I would have said no way. But we've been friends for three decades, long after our career paths diverged. Probably a six figure deal. Wife would love to get me out of the house again. I have no plans to buy more Mopars, after snagging the current one. I just turned 70. What would you do?

Got a call last week from a former boss (and earlier, a protegee). Asking me if I would consider doing a consulting gig for him. I've been retired for a year now, with no financial incentive to work. If it had been anyone else, I would have said no way. But we've been friends for three decades, long after our career paths diverged. Probably a six figure deal. Wife would love to get me out of the house again. I have no plans to buy more Mopars, after snagging the current one. I just turned 70. What would you do?
Not buying any more Mopars? I don't see any incentive as the six figure will just add to a bank account.
I've been trying to buy a 69 Super Bee from a friend who will be 86 soon. He's slowing down, but still loves working on and driving his Mopars. He has 8 Mopars. The last time I tried to buy the Super Bee he said "I'd just have more money in the bank and be without a car. What good would that do me?"

Stay retired, you earned it. Got a call to come back after 1 year and gave it try. After 6 months was told I have a dead line that needed to be ready in 6 weeks. I gave them 2 weeks. Have been happy for 4 years now. I also understand that everyone is different and careers are different so it may be a good fit for you. Good luck either way on the decision you make.:drinks:

Stay retired. You have your health, LORD KNOWS THOSE TRUCKS BEAT THE BODY UP (my dad sure was). Loyalty is honorable of you for sure, but a "friend" would respect YOUR point in YOUR life. Retirement means "program the "career mimd-set" out of your brain & do what you WANT & WHEN you want. Wife wants you out, get up, find a nice diner with good breakfast & coffee, make it a weekday thing. GOOD LUCK & ENJOY "YOUR retirement", you EARNED IT

We've got freezing rain overnight, with 1/4" of ice accumulation in the morning by 6am, so I'm working from home and will enjoy watching the uninsured illegals zooming and wrecking out on the morning news. There will be plenty of that crap, as those who can't seem to drive according to conditions provide entertainment by playing demo derby on the Interstates.

Topeka KS to OKC, I like 335 & 35, then 40 out to Clinton in the summer!!! Speed limits??? What's that!!! My HEMI got 28 mpg & SMOKEY was cruising with me, PLEAD THE 5th on the MPH!!!!
20210820_144650.jpg20210820_144641.jpg

Last edited:
Stay retired, you earned it. Got a call to come back after 1 year and gave it try. After 6 months was told I have a dead line that needed to be ready in 6 weeks. I gave them 2 weeks.
The Wife's dad retired several years ago. He was a Pharmacist. He'd get bored at home and take jobs just to have something to do and always quit within a few weeks. Once or twice, he quit a few days in. He never did it for the money, he liked the work.
I'm at the same point now. I loved the work that I did but got tired with so many of the jobs being out of town. The long commutes just took the fun out of it all.
I'd be interested in some temporary work, a few weeks at a time with some breaks....you know, like real life in a bad economy.

Last edited:
After being retired for 21 months, I'm going back to work tomorrow. :eek:

The fellow I sold the business to taking a long overdue vacation in Aruba and I'll be minding the store while he's out this week.

You've been out that long?
I was out before Halloween 2022. I thought you retired after me.

Auto Transport Service
Back