• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

the math, age 62 to 67 not collecting SSI.
EX.25.000 per year income = $125.000 how many years in increase benefits at 67 years to break even is about 8 to 9 years. Age in the plus 75 to 76. Always remember if you get an illness requiring nursing home, they take your SSI.
And that doesn't take into account any interest accumulated in aquiring SSA payments sooner. (Which is getting more relevant with interest rates increasing.)

With life expectancy age going down over the last 2 years? That certainly puts a damper on raising retirement age debate. I'm sure it's probably just an anomaly. Probably with pandemic numbers contributing. I'm willing to bet they begin to increase soon. Especially with a lower age floor as of today.

Last edited:
Think of the old folks that died from covid being dumped off SS. That also has something to do with lower life expectancy.

Tell the roof on my garage to stop leaking, please. I built it 33 years ago and why it's going to cost $17k is there's a deck on it. $5k/$6k for lumber and $800 dumpster, roofer is supplying roofing material and labor. If I was in better shape might be able to salvage 80% of the lumber. Problem you need to remove 2000 screws, the 74 old fatman will pay $$$. Why I saved $ but didn't expect to live this long.
I agree. Screw that (pun intended lol). Pay the man.

Yeah, I like my job but after 5-6 days of staying up late, sleeping in and lazing around, Im not all that motivated to get back to the regular routine just yet. What about you ?
Get your lazy azz to work and keep feeding that Social Security fund like I did for the last 48 years. :poke: :rofl:

Last edited:
I started working in 1982 and stepped out in 2022. 40 years seems reasonable to me.
I have been watching a YouTube channel called "The Essential Craftsman". The guy is a Carpenter that does a lot of what I used to do and a lot more. Watching him work, I get pangs for the job. I miss framing houses. My longtime employer abandoned the housing market in 2010 after the economy crashed and focused on commercial work....the type of jobs that paid well but were nowhere near as fun for me as I had when building houses.
I have lots to do here at home but when we move, I may go back to building houses part time. I love the environment of construction. The smell of fresh cut lumber, the sounds of saws and nail guns, the graffiti in the porta-potties, the jokes and insults with the guys and the looking back at what I built each day as I load up tools to go home.

I started working in 1982 and stepped out in 2022. 40 years seems reasonable to me.
I have been watching a YouTube channel called "The Essential Craftsman". The guy is a Carpenter that does a lot of what I used to do and a lot more. Watching him work, I get pangs for the job. I miss framing houses. My longtime employer abandoned the housing market in 2010 after the economy crashed and focused on commercial work....the type of jobs that paid well but were nowhere near as fun for me as I had when building houses.
I have lots to do here at home but when we move, I may go back to building houses part time. I love the environment of construction. The smell of fresh cut lumber, the sounds of saws and nail guns, the graffiti in the porta-potties, the jokes and insults with the guys and the looking back at what I built each day as I load up tools to go home.
That could be quite satisfying. You could plug yourself into the Habitat For Humanity program for a real sense of accomplishment.

@multimopes nailed the marriage/divorce thing, 1 was enough for me!! DAMN ALIMONY!!! Any way, helped mom take care of pop, died last April, 80 yrs old, KEPT HIM OUTTA NURSING HOME!! Mom now 80, buying her house soon, so IF nursing home, I don't become homeless (its NJ guys, they don't give a damn about VET status, etc... PAY ME), SO may not be able to retire, its up to GOD for sure, just clicking off the chapters of the book HE wrote for my path

Hell, I should skip work the next two days. I have a new job on Monday, current boss was so upset he took two vacation days lol. Don't want to go into it but, I spent 2 months keeping my employees from quitting, they told me I should quit so I did, wish I was retiring but... Nope, only 41 so I have a few years yet.

Congrats! I have to take my old man in for neck surgery next month, then he's done. Last 10 years he's been machining Smith and Wesson M&PS, he's had enough. Here's some of his "Handy" work lol.
PXL_20230330_030015913.jpg

Picked my date this weekend.

Sept 29 is The End
Just saying you will and picking a date is a big thing, very big. Congratulations on the next step in life!

Hell, I should skip work the next two days. I have a new job on Monday, current boss was so upset he took two vacation days lol. Don't want to go into it but, I spent 2 months keeping my employees from quitting, they told me I should quit so I did, wish I was retiring but... Nope, only 41 so I have a few years yet.
So no more school board BS to deal with?

Three plus years of Mondays for me if I'm lucky. Time for a tune:

I’ve got to say, I look forward to everyday. Doing what I love to do, for over 40 years now. I am a lucky guy. I’ve told my kids, you can either do what you want for the rest of your life or live with what you’ve chosen. To me it ain’t work if you love doing it.

I’ve got to say, I look forward to everyday. Doing what I love to do, for over 40 years now. I am a lucky guy. I’ve told my kids, you can either do what you want for the rest of your life or live with what you’ve chosen. To me it ain’t work if you love doing it.
You're truly lucky and I'm seriously happy for you! Doing a job you love makes the ride to the end more of a pleasure than a battle. I had the best job in the world and made a great living. It's just a means to the end game we should all be getting ready for, starting from the first day of work. Enjoy and be safe!!

You're truly lucky and I'm seriously happy for you! Doing a job you love makes the ride to the end more of a pleasure than a battle. I had the best job in the world and made a great living. It's just a means to the end game we should all be getting ready for, starting from the first day of work. Enjoy and be safe!!
Yes sir, thank you. Never felt, oh crap I’ve got to go to work. I think I’ve been very blessed. Take care!

Feeling this way kept me working until I was 69. Financially, I could have retired earlier. I hung it up when it was no longer fun, physical issues finally became a factor. Extra cars were a fringe benefit.

Last edited:
Tell the roof on my garage to stop leaking, please. I built it 33 years ago and why it's going to cost $17k is there's a deck on it. $5k/$6k for lumber and $800 dumpster, roofer is supplying roofing material and labor. If I was in better shape might be able to salvage 80% of the lumber. Problem you need to remove 2000 screws, the 74 old fatman will pay $$$. Why I saved $ but didn't expect to live this long.
I'll be 72 soon and surprised I've made it this far. The body complains more and especially the knees so I pick and choose what to do and try not to be on my feet so much. The roof on the house is getting old and the roof on the shop is probably 10 years older and dread when the day comes to replace both.

Auto Transport Service
Back