• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I give up...brakes go to the floor !!!

You will get it. Simple system so should not be too hard to find the problem. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Well, to begin with i DID have the calipers on the wrong sides.. switched them over then gravity feed fluid as stated above. Manually bleed each wheel until no air, petal goes to floor. Over and over again.. petal would get rock solid, then go right to the floor again. Turns out that i would bleed the r/r then the l/r then r/f and l/f as usually done. No air. No pedal. The prop/div valve pin would move forward pushing pedal down, then move in again on pedal return. I had to walk away from the car for a few days before i did something i would regret. Today went back at it and noticed the pedal would be solid after bleeding rears, then go to S*#+ when i bleed the fronts. So i did the fronts first, still no air, then the rears, still no air.. and the pedal is rock solid. I would have replaced prop/div valve but could not find a direct replacement.. and this one seems to be working. I will leave as is and see if it holds up, otherwise it will go to a repair shop because short of 2 faulty m/c' s i am out of options.

Many times with brakes leaving them alone for awhile is helpful and they kind of gravity bleed some.

I think you are over the hump, they are a simple system but can obviously drive you crazy. Hang in there.

My money is on the second bad master cylinder.

I'm still going with rear shoes not set out close enough to the drums Jerry, but I hope he's rolling and stopping!

I'm still going with rear shoes not set out close enough to the drums Jerry, but I hope he's rolling and stopping!
If he has a full high petal after bleeding the rear brakes, I would think they are adjusted right. If he doesn't have a full petal right off the free play, then you have it.

otherwise it will go to a repair shop

no repair shop will know anything you or guys on this forum don't know, and no repair shop will have a magic wand......... at whatever hourly rate you will be charged, paying someone else to chase their tail will only piss you off more

I’ll be watching to see your outcome on this. I will need to bleed my brake system in a few weeks. Will be the first time for me..

Cant drive the car much but did go far enough to use the brakes many times.. they work as they should, its just been decades since i used non-power brakes.. i cant explain why i had all that trouble but i am good with the results. and moparguy68, bleeding brakes it easy if thats all you need to do.. what i did was a bit more complicated !! Let us know how that goes !!

Cant drive the car much but did go far enough to use the brakes many times.. they work as they should, its just been decades since i used non-power brakes.. i cant explain why i had all that trouble but i am good with the results. and moparguy68, bleeding brakes it easy if thats all you need to do.. what i did was a bit more complicated !! Let us know how that goes !!
I wish all I needed to do is bleed brakes.. I’m rebuilding/replacing the entire hydraulic brake system. Couldn’t do anything on the car other than cleanup the inner fender this weekend. My Sacrum has been badly out of alignment the past 4 days.. Have had chiro adjustments and massages for it. Has hurt like a bitch and making me walk with a limp. Can barely roll over in bed, and get in and out of a car, let alone crawl underneath one.. So the Super Bee continues to sit in the garage waiting to be worked on.

I think crawling under the car and fighting with that damn rear brake hose C-Wedge, on the previous weekend, contributed to or caused my current condition.

This is the last project car I’m working on without a four point lift.. Not going to do another with jack stands. I’ve had it.. Two years of this is enough.

Don't you just love it when the Doc. say's your not as young as you use to be. Now pay the nurse. Know the feeling. Do stuff I use to do and now pay for it in the end. Hope you get better and get that bee on the road.

Not sayin' this is your problem, but I probably
pulled out the same amount of hair. I built a
jig that allowed the calipers to be mounted
with the bleed screws at their highest point.
It worked, and I now have good pedal. I chased
the issue same as you have done. I can also
relate to the debilitating issues of a bad back.
I've spent the last 3 days on the couch.

I wish all I needed to do is bleed brakes.. I’m rebuilding/replacing the entire hydraulic brake system. Couldn’t do anything on the car other than cleanup the inner fender this weekend. My Sacrum has been badly out of alignment the past 4 days.. Have had chiro adjustments and massages for it. Has hurt like a bitch and making me walk with a limp. Can barely roll over in bed, and get in and out of a car, let alone crawl underneath one.. So the Super Bee continues to sit in the garage waiting to be worked on.

I think crawling under the car and fighting with that damn rear brake hose C-Wedge, on the previous weekend, contributed to or caused my current condition.

This is the last project car I’m working on without a four point lift.. Not going to do another with jack stands. I’ve had it.. Two years of this is enough.
You will be doing what i just did.. complete overhaul, thankfully my lower back cooperated.. now i have to wait 2 months to have the steering and front suspension replaced.. i am too old to that work myself.. hope you feel better soon.

One step that has been left out. Adjusting rear brakes, start by backing off parking brake adjustment, because it could be someone in the past adjusted the cable instead of the rear shoes first.

Auto Transport Service
Back