• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a few questions in regards to restoring my 63 sport fury. Any help?

DocAtDuq

Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,i'm planning on doing some small restoration projects on my 63 sport fury this weekend I was hoping for a few tips to help me out I'll just list my questions and if you can help thanks!1. I plan on restoring the front aluminum grill, was it originally shiny or dull? There are a lot of scratches and I was going to attempt to buff them out. I was going to use high grit sandpaper and a buffing wheel with some mag polish. 2. I'm going to remove the valve covers and strip their paint and re paint them, what is the best way to strip the paint off of them? 3. My fuel gauge and temp gauge are not working, I checked the ground strap and it is all there and making a good ground, when the car is turned on the fuel gauge moves a small amount and stops, I'm assuming it's either the sending unit or the board behind the guage has a broken solder joint. What's the easiest way to remove this?4. The previous owner had the chrome trim around the convertible top re chromed. However it no longer fits the contour of the car. My best thought to attach this is to start at one end attaching the top screw snaps and lightly tap the trim with a rubber mallet or a plastic ballpeen. 5. The bezel around the gauges, how can I spruce it up? It's quite faded. Can I just mask it off and paint the chrome and black separately? Or is there a better method?thanks you in advance,doc

The grill is anodized! it's not bright like chrome! If it is white or real dull you'll have to have it reanodized or polish it! As far as the v-covers if they're not dented or chipped badly, sand them and prime them with etching primer and repaint! To check the gas gauge just ground the gauge at the sending unit other than on the sender it self! If the gauge goes to full it is good, and the sender is bad or the float is bad(filled with gas).You have to pull the cluster to remove the gauge! I do plastic plating It is detailed as original! As for the trim around the top well! you might be able to get it to fit tighter by the method you stated, but be careful! It is pot metal and can break if you hit it too hard! Hope this helps you out! I have a refinished gauge cluster for a 63 auto. in stock if you're interested! P.M. me for cost and more info.

Good info. I might add on the fuel gauge after you ground the sending unit wire and see if it goes to full you can put a test lite on the sending unit wire when its still unkooked as it should blink off and on to show the voltage limiter is working. It pulsates a 5 volt signal. I know on your grille one member on here send his out and had it done and it looked great. But I cant remember who it was ? You can also look around on Moshers site as I think they have the info on their of who they used to chrome their trim. Good luck , Ron

I use naval jelly for stripping paint.

If you have the time and patience and want your dash to look good as new I suggest gcartrim.com out of Washington. Gary did great job!

Auto Transport Service
Back