• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a question for you fancy scale model builders.

SteveSS

Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
I've been watching some videos on YT where they have model (mostly cars) contests. They never show the winners so I'm wondering what makes a winning model? They all look fantastic to me. Way above my skill level. I did watch one video of a kid that made some models of Roadkill cars. His Stubby Bob model took nine months to complete and impressed the heck out of Freiberger and Finigan when he showed it to them in person.

I haven't messed with 1/25 scale stuff for decades but there are a couple talented builders on the A body side.

(actually, that's not entirely true...I bought a 73 RR partially assembled about 3 years ago via ebay and started stripping it to be a replica of my Satellite)

I work with a guy that is really into the model building. They were just at the national convention. His boys brought home lots of medals

Attention to detail. I was a part of the table top model car club here back in the early years. Scale modelers would get the finest details in a model car . Paint , bare metal foil trim, opening doors, trunk lids, with all the inner jambs made. Inner handles, cranks for the windows, u joints that actually swivelled. sculpt bodys to look like there favorite real show car builders, model cars that were not available back in the day were created.
Alot of really good detail builders.

I'm wondering what makes a winning model?

I have not built for years, but I have attended model shows in the past. In general, it what you think it would be: Overall quality, fine details, and customization (kit bashing / handmade parts). Dioramas and other add-ons can enhance the model presentation in judging as well.

I think the best part about the hobby for me was watching the young kids get involved. Through the years there skills got really good. An eye for detail and proportions in there builds.

One of my friends sons did a 71 Charger and he wanted a vinyl top. So he used masking tape for the vinyl top. When you look closely at the tape it looked just like vinyl seams and all. It is really amazing how detailed they get. He sent me pictures of some 1/25th scale carburetors that he bought.

Auto Transport Service
Back