• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know its a Ford… but I couldn't pass it up!

JHyatt14

Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I started a thread several months back about my 69 Charger R/T rebuild. That is almost finished. I have been so busy with work, family, and the restoration I just haven't had time to post many pictures or provide many updates. Soon I will be posting updated photos of the finished product. It is turning out to be one hell of a ride.

Anyway, last Wednesday I was in the Dr.'s office and I was scrolling Craigslist and I saw an ad for a 71' Mustang Mach 1 with a numbers matching 429 Cobra Jet and 4-speed manual top loader transmission. I'm not much of a Ford guy but I'm definitely a car guy and I know that those Cobra Jet motors are rare and I have not seen many paired up with the 4-speed. As it turned out it was only about 10 minutes from my house so I took a ride. What I found was basically a time capsule. All the original interior is still there and in very nice shape. The body is 98% rust free with all original body panels and original paint. The only thing missing from the car was the original ram air cleaner due to the guy changing the carburetor in the late 70's and losing it after moving to a new home. Turns out the guy is the original owner and it has 47,000 original miles! The guy provided the original bill of sale along with the original pay stub booklet for his loan on the car. It still has the Ford sticker with the vehicle information on the drivers side door jam and the original sticker on the valve cover. After some haggling we were able to make a deal and I gave him a deposit on the car and today I went and picked it up. She will stay in my garage until I am through with the Charger restoration but it is going to be a great project.

Attachments

• 00505_5KsC5SvU4yS_50x50c.jpg
    00505_5KsC5SvU4yS_50x50c.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 339
  • 01212_EPqFpVxGfG_50x50c.jpg
    01212_EPqFpVxGfG_50x50c.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 00w0w_20zEO4ZlIGS_50x50c.jpg
    00w0w_20zEO4ZlIGS_50x50c.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 00e0e_44hcFtE0b4S_600x450.jpg
    00e0e_44hcFtE0b4S_600x450.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 374
You could remake Bullit with your cars, right color wrong years though.

That's a great find! Will you bring it back to be a survivor?[/QUOTE

That's the game plan. The gold you see on the bottom of the doors and hood was originally silver/grey. I'm going to get the original paint code for the silver and bring it back to original. Also the engine bay is supposed to be black and the guy painted it grey. Other than that it's all original so I'm going to do it right and bring it back. The interior is unbelievable.

Great find, i really dig the 429's. Of course you realize we'll need a full photo spread now, right? :)

Very nice find, I like it. How could you resist with a 429 and 4 speed. Does it run and did you drive it.

Very nice find, I like it. How could you resist with a 429 and 4 speed. Does it run and did you drive it.

It was last registered in 1991. The gentleman who owned it said he ran it last year. It does turn over but without the proper tools and garage set up I didn't want to try and run it. Once I get my Charger all buttoned up I'll bring this into the workshop and really get into it and see what I'm dealing with. It's all there though, no part hunting for this relic! Haha. Very exciting though, this will be my first Ford project.

Is that the 429 with the GM Quadrajet carb? What's the rear gear? The gold doesn't look that bad... :)

Is that the 429 with the GM Quadrajet carb? What's the rear gear? The gold doesn't look that bad... :)

Quite right Photon. The guy changed the original Quadrajet Rochester carb to a Holley carb at one point. This resulted in the clearance issue he had with the stock ram air cleaner. He took the air cleaner off and promptly lost it over the years during a house move. I don't mind the gold color either but a car like this with all original sheet metal I just HAVE to bring it back to original. The Ansen rims are aftermarket but I dig the look. He also threw in a pair of matching 15x10 Ansen's for the rear so I can put some fat tires on the back if I want to. The car does not have the "trac-pac". It has open 3.50 gears in the rear.

That's a great find! Will you bring it back to be a survivor?[/QUOTE

That's the game plan. The gold you see on the bottom of the doors and hood was originally silver/grey. I'm going to get the original paint code for the silver and bring it back to original. Also the engine bay is supposed to be black and the guy painted it grey. Other than that it's all original so I'm going to do it right and bring it back. The interior is unbelievable.

Great to hear the car is getting the owner it deserves!

I once owned the same year fastback, black with a 351 cleveland, they get a lot of structural rust under the rear quarter area, inspect it well

Nice score, JHyatt14!

The Ex wife and I restored a 1970 Mach 1 years ago that had the 351 Cleveland motor and automatic trans. in it. As Old_Skool suggested, check the frame and metal-work carefully as these Fords were really prone to rust. We had issues on both of the shock towers and on the driver's side frame rail. And the big block cars like your 429 had so much torque that they were known to twist/weaken the shock tower area too.

Auto Transport Service
Back