• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think this guy has an interesting take on future collectible cars. It's not good.

It’s funny how quickly these politicians are willing to bludgeon an entire oil based industry with the stroke of a pen in the name of cleaning up the environment(ok...truthfully it’s actually most of them legislating their own profit on their personal investments)while they do business with countries like China that literally have ruined their own country with massive over pollution to the point where it is affecting the entire world environment.

Silly me, I thought the hole in the ozone layer was gong to do us in.
In the sixties it was air and water we were going to run out of in a few years. I'm done worrying about it. I've had a good run and played by all the rules. Hooray for me and screw you!!!

I think California has had to back off on some of their draconian future emission laws a few times in the past and they and other states almost certainly will have to do that in the future.
Despite all the posturing and virtue signaling by politicians, celebrities and niave kids, that doesn't change the fact you can't legislate something to happen if it's not technically and or financially feasible. The technology and infrastructure do not exist for carbon based fuels to be replaced, and I am very skeptical that is going to change completely over the next 10, 20 or even 30 years, only incrementally.
The amount of it will little doubt increase, but to the point it can replace carbon completely?
I'm an engineer for a truck manufacturer, so I see the EV vehicles that we are developing and hear the speeches by the honchos boasting about how exciting this all is, but I wonder if I could get one of them alone, over a few beers, if they really think what we are working on is practical for most vocations, or if what they are doing is just posturing to appease government pressure?
My biggest concern, car hobby wise, is if the government attacks on energy companies and production, will make it very expensive to fuel our cars in the not too distant future, and we won't find it affordable to do more than relatively short pleasure cruises and trips to events.
The powers to be seem pretty committed to shooting ourselves in the feet now, and I wonder if reality will hit them upside the head before it's all too late to prevent us from digressing to a very diminished standard of living with the damage they are trying to do to the carbon fuel industry that has advanced civilizations standard of living so much over the last 200 years.

I am not sure what the carbon emission impact is of producing asphalt and paving with it, but I think it's safe to say it is far from zero!
The production of concrete is actually cited as being one of the largest emitters of CO2 in the world, so Mr Cranium's assertion we may eventually be forced back to dirt roads (and maybe mud huts and log cabins) may not be that far fetched if the greenies get their way.
Concrete: the most destructive material on Earth

Here are some of the ways petroleum is used in our every day lives. All plastic is made from petroleum and plastic is used almost everywhere: in cars, houses, toys, computers and clothing. Asphalt used in road construction is a petroleum product as is the synthetic rubber in the tires. Paraffin wax comes from petroleum, as do fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, detergents, phonograph records, photographic film, furniture, packaging materials, surfboards, paints, and artificial fibers used in clothing, upholstery, and carpet backing. Solvents Diesel Motor Oil Bearing Grease Ink Floor Wax Ballpoint Pens Football Cleats Upholstery Sweaters Boats Insecticides Bicycle Tires Sports Car Bodies Nail Polish Fishing lures Dresses Tires Golf Bags Perfumes Cassettes Dishwasher Tool Boxes Shoe Polish Motorcycle Helmet Caulking Petroleum Jelly Transparent Tape CD Player Faucet Washers Antiseptics Clothesline Curtains Food Preservatives Basketballs Soap Vitamin Capsules Antihistamines Purses Shoes Dashboards Cortisone Deodorant Footballs Putty Dyes Panty Hose Refrigerant Percolators Life Jackets Rubbing Alcohol Linings Skis TV Cabinets Shag Rugs Electrician's Tape Tool Racks Car Battery Cases Epoxy Paint Mops Slacks Insect Repellent Oil Filters Umbrellas Yarn Fertilizers Hair Coloring Roofing Toilet Seats Fishing Rods Lipstick Denture Adhesive Linoleum Ice Cube Trays Synthetic Rubber Speakers Plastic Wood Electric Blankets Glycerin Tennis Rackets Rubber Cement Fishing Boots Dice Nylon Rope Candles Trash Bags House Paint Water Pipes Hand Lotion Roller Skates Surf Boards Shampoo Wheels Paint Rollers Shower Curtains Guitar Strings Luggage Aspirin Safety Glasses Antifreeze Football Helmets Awnings Eyeglasses Clothes Toothbrushes Ice Chests Footballs Combs CD's Paint Brushes Detergents Vaporizers Balloons Sun Glasses Tents Heart Valves Crayons Parachutes Telephones Enamel Pillows Dishes Cameras Anesthetics Artificial Turf Artificial limbs Bandages Dentures Model Cars Folding Doors Hair Curlers Cold cream Movie film Soft Contact lenses Drinking Cups Fan Belts Car Enamel Shaving Cream Ammonia Refrigerators Golf Balls Toothpaste Gasoline Ink Dishwashing liquids Paint brushes Telephones Toys Unbreakable dishes Insecticides Antiseptics Dolls Car sound insulation Fishing lures Deodorant Tires Motorcycle helmets Linoleum Sweaters Tents Refrigerator linings Paint rollers Floor wax Shoes Electrician's tape Plastic wood Model cars Glue Roller-skate wheels Trash bags Soap dishes Skis Permanent press clothes Hand lotion Clothesline Dyes Soft contact lenses Shampoo Panty hose Cameras Food preservatives Fishing rods Oil filters Combs Transparent tape Anesthetics Upholstery Dice Disposable diapers TV cabinets Cassettes Mops Sports car bodies Salad bowls House paint Purses Electric blankets Awnings Ammonia Dresses Car battery cases Safety glass Hair curlers Pajamas Synthetic rubber VCR tapes Eyeglasses Pillows Vitamin capsules Movie film Ice chests Candles Rubbing alcohol Loudspeakers Ice buckets Boats Ice cube trays Credit cards Fertilizers Crayons Insect repellent Water pipes Toilet seats Caulking Roofing shingles Fishing boots Life jackets Balloons Shower curtains Garden hose Golf balls Curtains Plywood adhesive Umbrellas Detergents Milk jugs Beach umbrellas Rubber cement Sun glasses Putty Faucet washers Cold cream Bandages Tool racks Antihistamines Hair coloring Nail polish Slacks Drinking cups Guitar strings False teeth Yarn Petroleum jelly Toothpaste Golf bags Roofing Tennis rackets Toothbrushes Perfume Luggage Wire insulation Folding doors Shoe polish Fan belts Ballpoint pens Shower doors Cortisone Carpeting Artificial turf Heart valves LP records Lipstick Artificial limbs Hearing aids Vaporizers Aspirin Shaving cream Wading pools Parachutes Americans consume petroleum products at a rate of three-and-a-half gallons of oil and more than 250 cubic feet of natural gas per day each!
But, as shown here petroleum is not just used for fuel.
The top crude oil producing states are: Texas, Alaska, California, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. About 59.5 percent of the crude oil and petroleum products used in the United States come from other countries.

Most roads aren't being burned for fuel. :)

But fuel is burned to make asphalt for roads.

Is it not the goal of the greenies is to ban fossil fuels and put the oil companies out of business? If so, asphalt cannot be made.

The opinion is based on the premiss that 1) they will actually get to 100% EV's, and 2) that fossil fuel will therefore no longer be available. Wrong. Sure there will be a lot more EV's, but fossil fuels will still be available for construction, air planes, heavy haul vehicles, emergency generator systems, a small % of cars, etc. The real value hit will be due to nobody from the next generations being interested in classic cars.

But fuel is burned to make asphalt for roads.

Is it not the goal of the greenies is to ban fossil fuels and put the oil companies out of business? If so, asphalt cannot be made.
Let’s face it, there is a philosophical minority contingent in our society that feeds their ego by imposing their will on others.
It’s not really about the greater good but that monicker is almost always used to deceive others when in fact the real agenda is their belief in an alternative world that is not shared by the majority.
With them, all that matters is getting their own way no matter what means are used, lie, cheat, steal, destroy goodness, negative projection-well, you get the idea...

Last edited:
Tell you what. I'll believe their BS when they start pressuring third world countries to control their population and use contraceptives. I'll believe their BS when they ban drive thru restaurants, I'll believe their BS when they ban shipping to and from polluting countries like India and China. I'll believe their BS when our "leaders" stop taking contingents of 200 people and flying them around the world, staying at fancy lodging to have these meetings that point the finger at Joe Bluecollar for all these pollution troubles. These and other issues prove that greed comes first above all.
Population explosion in third world countries and forcing other countries to take the overload thus contributioning to consumerism and profits for large corporations is the root cause of any perceived problems. Idling at drive thru restaurants while the inside of said restaurants are empty proves to me that idling can't be the problem our esteemed leaders tell us it is. North America needs nothing from the rest of the world. We have all the oil we need, we have all the resources we need, we have all the water we need, we have all the rivers we need to drive hydro electric power, we have all the people we need to do our own manufacturing.
It's all BS driven by corporate greed. It turns your stomach if you logically think through it all.

You can invest money in the market, diamonds, bitcoins or whatever blows your dress up. To each there own. According to Reuters, one in nine of every car sold in 2021 was either a hybrid or an electric vehicle. There are 270 million registered vehicles in the US, how can that be brought to an end any time soon, easy, out right ban. The California Governor, Gavin Newson, announced that fuel-powered cars would be banned in California. More so, the ban includes gas-electric vehicles or any motorcars with tailpipe emissions. Gas may be hard to get one day and that alone will drive the classic car owners into one of the most expensive hobbies with little return. The classic cars of today are living in the golden age of appreciation and it’s sad knowing that the future for classic cars is bleak. If you're looking to invest, look elsewhere, if you can afford to lose on the 1,2,3 or more cars that you thought were going to carry you to the death bed, you stand a better chance if you read my first sentence again or die soon. As for me, I've made the statement many time, I drive my car all the time and I'm not saving it for a return on my dollar, I don't with my new cars and I'm not about to start with my 65. I have no idea how hard they will push this issue. They may say those that have them, can keep and drive them. Again, I have no idea and I for one don't trust our government to go out of their way to make me happy, with millions fighting, maybe. I don't have the time left in my life to go rouge over a car. All I ever wanted out of my life was to be left alone to enjoy the fruits of my labor and I'm doing that as we speak. I will say that those of you that can't or won't bet on the market to save money and choice a car instead, good luck........ we'll see, only time will tell.
hogwash... from the link posted:

"The executive order will not prevent Californians from owning gasoline-powered cars or selling them on the used car market."

I might not have made it clear. You CAN"T have a gas-powered car on the road by 2050 in the UK. That's why he said these cars have an expiration date. Do you really think it won't happen in California and possibly Colorado? I would be 94 years old. Who knows, my mom is 92. But I plan on handing my cars down to my kids. They will be in their 50's.

What is a Dodge Hellcat worth if it's illegal to drive? That 1969 Hemi Charger will still be a work of art. 30 years sounds like a long way off. 1992 is 30 years ago that's when Vipers came out and I still think of it as a fairly modern car.
UK or EU?

Let’s face it, there is a philosophical minority contingent in our society that feeds their ego by imposing their will on others.
It’s not really about the greater good but that monicker is almost always used to deceive others when in fact the real agenda is their belief in an alternative world that is not shared by the majority.
With them, all that matters is getting their own way no matter what means are used, lie, cheat, steal, destroy goodness, negative projection-well, you get the idea...
Wow, this post really struck a nerve with me, thinking back to my high school days in State College, class of 1971. Era of Earth Day. Penn State is a conundrum, an academic bubble, placed in the heart of rural Pennsylvania in the 1800s to provide higher education at equal geographic proximity to the far corners of the keystone state. The aura of moral superiority enveloping my classmates in that era turned my stomach, and it has only become worse in ensuing decades. The real world is only ten miles from the campus. I grew up there because my parents couldn't afford a house in town.

I was looked down on because I aspired to a professional education, not to save the world, but to save myself from where I started in life, and own a GTX. People who didn't aspire to a college education were scorned on that basis alone. Most of those "moral high ground" folks have managed to create a far greater carbon footprint than mine.

End of the day I really don't give a ****, I own these cars not because of their value.... I own them cause I like to drive them... I've driven one of my old cars every day this month including in the rain.... Yes I worry about the idiots on the road but screw them, I have insurance... They're cars not collectibles or trophies...
Got that right. Don’t care. Drive. Enjoy. Wear them out.

No gasoline cars will be allowed after 2050, therefore effectively outlawing them.
This seems to be a misleading statement.. Do you have a link to the outright ban of EXISTING gas powered cars in 2050? Only thing I could find was on the sales of NEW gas cars..? nebulous statements like Effectively banning them is far different than actually banning them..

They don't have to ban the cars, just make the fuel impossible to obtain.
Very true, and since they already have a choke hold on fuel it would be quite easy for them.
Unless they are voted out of power, which will never happen under the current conditions.
Let’s just say the machines they are banning shouldn’t be gasoline powered cars.

thats not in the cards anytime soon.. too many other building systems, critical power systems, and everyday items (i.e. lawn mowers, etc) rely on fuel.. as long as there is money to be made fuel will still be produced in one for or another.. contrary to what the green weenies would have you believe.

Do not underestimate the power of our government and the swift reactions they can make. Keep in mind millions of college graduates are produced twice a year that have been indoctrinated that government works in the people's best interest ALWAYS.

Do not underestimate the power of our government and the swift reactions they can make. Keep in mind millions of college graduates are produced twice a year that have been indoctrinated that government works in the people's best interest ALWAYS.
This is what keeps high end lawyers in business. Those who can afford it make that system work in their favor.

Auto Transport Service
Back