• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to be able to lift the front of my 70 Charger 500 off the line - need your advice -thnx

Here are a couple things to consider:
In your quest for showmanship you're going to sacrifice ride quality and driveability.
People like to spend other people's money.
this.jpg
Why would anyone mess with a perfectly NICE car just to impress the local snot-noses?
If one is hellbent on wheelies, then a race car can be done - without screwing with this beauty!

P.S. You can always go fetch a late-model Demon:
136e49714e358e3c121e0700329dae0e.jpg

P.S. You can always go fetch a late-model Demon:
View attachment 1607898
If your not discouraged yet you should be. By the time you you get the wheel off the ground you'll have spent and devalued your car, it's a nice one too. You could have bought a Demon but then they don't put traction on the roads.

In my opinion.....
To do an impressive wheelie on the street, (not just pop a tire off an inch, for two feet) you would need a light car, very stout small block for minimal front end weight, LOTS of traction (ladder bars or four link), great tires, and huge to boot, and either a full out manual trans or a transbrake.
Funny thing, that is almost a perfect description of my car, including a long rear overhang and a short front overhang..... and it still won't wheelie on the street.

Last edited:
In my opinion.....
To do an impressive wheelie on the street, (not just pop a tire off an inch, for two feet) you would need a light car, very stout small block for minimal front end weight, LOTS of traction (ladder bars or four link), great tires, and huge to boot, and either a full out manual trans or a transbrake.
Funny thing, that is almost a perfect description of my car..... and it still won't wheelie on the street.
How about a RB/HEMI with a n aluminum block, heads water pump a housing and radiator. Need a boat load of money to impress some kids. Just have fun unless you have da dough.:thumbsup:

Im 70 and need some advice fro you experienced race guys. My 70 Charger 500 has a 493/440 efi w/3500 stall and worked 727 trans. 3:54 gears. 275/65 BFG rear tires. It has 580HP and has run high 11's by previous owner. While I dont intend to race it, I would love to impress the young guys in my rural town by lifting the ft when I hammer it. Currently it just roasts the tires. It has traction bars. Im assuming big slicks/tubbed and gear change? Cant wait to hear your constructive advice. Thanks

View attachment 1606692

View attachment 1606693
Fun thread.
Went from some shocks, to buying demons, to converting it into an altered, and all kinds of ****.
Looks like youre about 16 mins from an actual track that is well known for good startline and great air. Go there. Do some testing. Find out what you actually have. Rich is a great photographer, youll be able to see whats going on. Youll need slicks. May as well start off with 90/10s ditch SB, dump the frontend. Once you have a grip on the situation, then see if it looks like the 4.56s and 4500 stall are needed( they are). From there you can start back tracking on repeating the performance on the street.
but as mentioned, with a 28' long 4600lb boat, it will be an uphill battle. No pun intended.
just pop a tire off an inch, for two feet)
I'm thinking this will be the best case scenario.

Oh, it can definitely be done with a Charger (obviously! ), it's just harder than with some other choices.
I'm betting that one is a full-on racecar, with about 800hp.
happened right after he/they took off the wheelie bars too

Last edited:
street car but looks pretty cool from behind
not 'some peoples' deal, but it's not my car either
opinions vary
I like day 2 cars, especially if they start out 'as a basket case'
then why not build it how you want, make it yours
even a nice car,
they made 100s of thousands of the gen 2 68-70 Chargers
not rare, yes getting pricey

68 Charger Pro-Street big fattys.jpg

Oh, it can definitely be done with a Charger (obviously! ), it's just harder than with some other choices.
I'm betting that one is a full-on racecar, with about 800hp.
A friend at our track has pretty close to the exact thing. There's some ballast going on there.
Nailed the HP.

"Some" of you guys posting here,
you do know this is the Racers hangout
it's not the 'Purists section OE resto-thread type stuff' here
we do mods here, racecar mods

Last edited:
This Charger is owned by the Lady that owns In & Out burgers out of California , & YES she is driving :)
That family has been into drag racing for 50 years. The original Irwindale's hamburger stand was an In-N-Out, except the burgers didn't have tomatoes. (That was fine with me, I don't like tomatos). I think her father or uncle raced a funny car in the seventies too. They certainly sponsored some.

That's a very nice car and the wrong car for that! I would stick to laying rubber. Lifting the wheels is very easy but at the same time very destructive on a stock type chassis as it takes violent lunches weight transfer and hard traction to do this. Body gaps will be trashed and the car will start to twist without chassis work.

Auto Transport Service
Back