• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID this car?

jball1105

Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
My mom sent me this photo of a car she thinks the Poly 318 came out of that is now in my 63 Sport Fury. I can’t tell from the photo what car it is. The badge looks like it might say Belvedere?? Can anyone tell me what car this is?

702238BC-DF07-44AB-88BF-F0FC12F60613.jpeg

The engine doesn't look original in the pic. Probably a later 1962-up 318 that will take an aftermarket 4 barrel intake and will bolt to an aluminum 727. The original engine in a 1955 Plymouth had a different style crankshaft and won't accept a modern transmission.

The first 318 in a Plymouth was 1958 (Fury was 318 dual quad or 350 big block Golden Commando dual quad). 1957 Plymouth V8's were all 301 except Fury (318). 1955-56 were smaller yet, 241-260. FYI, Dodge had a completely different line, same with Desoto and Chrysler. It wasn't until the 60's that they used the same engines across all Mopars. Plymouth even used the flathead inline 6 until 1959.

Last edited:
While all the other Chrysler divisions got a version of an early Hemi, Plymouth never did. Each line's Hemi was different from the other's, and very little interchanged. There was a short deck version and a tall deck version of each. Also, each line had a Poly version of the Hemi block for the cheapest line of their cars. Almost as confusing as GM's engine line ups.

The engine doesn't look original in the pic. Probably a later 1962-up 318 that will take an aftermarket 4 barrel intake and will bolt to an aluminum 727. The original engine in a 1955 Plymouth had a different style crankshaft and won't accept a modern transmission.

The first 318 in a Plymouth was 1958 (Fury was 318 dual quad or 350 big block Golden Commando dual quad). 1957 Plymouth V8's were all 301 except Fury (318). 1955-56 were smaller yet, 241-260. FYI, Dodge had a completely different line, same with Desoto and Chrysler. It wasn't until the 60's that they used the same engines across all Mopars. Plymouth even used the flathead inline 6 until 1959.

If I remember correctly the casting on the block said my poly is a 1966 so not the original in the photo in this car. So at some point ( if this is the same engine) it was put in the ‘55 in the photo. unfortunately my dad passed away 9 years ago and my grandparents have been gone for decades so I don’t know that I will ever know the full history here. What I do know is that my dad and his dad put the Poly 318 in the sport fury in the early to mid seventies and now it is rebuilt and back in the fury and will be powering down the road soon.

Auto Transport Service
Back