• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idiots ruining car meets

Does anybody remember a while back there was a story of an older gentlemen who would drive his Volare to his local car show? It wasn’t the prettiest car, more like his daily driver, but he loved that car. So, one week all of the car show judges and club leaders got together and gave him a special participation award, for his dedication to coming to the show, and for his love of his car and the hobby. He was truly proud of his car, and the higher ups recognized that and sought to honor him for that. If all car shows and participants could remember why there are shows in the first place, car shows might be a much better experience. I don’t mind when the young guns bring out their new iron, they’re the future of the hobby, and although we may see their cars in a different way, they love their cars just as much as we love ours. I personally don’t desire a new Challenger, but I just don’t see a Hellcat Helliphant Redeye Demon on every street corner, and wouldn’t mind seeing one at a show to check it out. To each his own, I always say!

Most of the shows a few bud's and me attend every year are fun; but don't put my car in the huge shows. We like to get there early and leave after a few hours. There's one held in a resort town in WI and went once, that was enough with the traffic jams and parking a mile away. Heard that the police were snagging anyone doing a burn out to the tune of 500 bucks. They got multiple dozens - nice to support the local community, lol.

I do like the fact that my car shows that the LS engines in everything out there isn't the only way to go. It's fun to watch everyone's reaction. My car to me is more about that, then the fact that It's a 65 coronet. It's not perfect, but, It's fun and that's what It's about, to me anyway, being outside the box. That's the way I've always been, a black sheep to many.

So many events now are dominated by cars I can see in any dealer lot. If I want to see a buttload of 2005 - 2021 cars or trucks, I'll go to a dealer. But, by the same token, older-car shows seem to be stuck in the '50s many times, with the really OLD rock-n-roll that doesn't fit the cars there. This is why I love driving events! Even those are late-model heavy, in many cases; unless the promoters emphasize beforehand that it's for early cars, and not vehicles that still have a warranty!

I have seen about every kind of old car at some point in time. Seen and rode them back when new too. What I enjoy is looking for that guy, many times a young guy, that has little $ but loves his ride and puts his heart and soul into it. I enjoy looking at and discussing his build, getting to know a little about the guy and is ride, with no ego, no agenda.

Auto Transport Service
Back