• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idler Arm Bad Already?!

eagleone1983

Local time
11:17 AM
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I diagnosed a clunk in my steering/suspension to a loose steering gear box. I had the car up on jacks today so I could start messing with my transmission leak (Got a new O-ring for the dipstick hopefully that fixes it since the last one I used just came from the Harbor Freight assortment and this one is actually meant for the transmission) and I had my wife move the steering wheel back and forth to make sure the box was still good. The box was good but I noticed up and down movement in my idler arm.

I'm assuming any movement in the arm means it's bad so I ordered a new Moog one from Amazon. The Idler arm I had on there came from PST, is it normal to only get 4 driving seasons out of them? I've maybe got 4K miles since the restoration.

I replaced my idler arm after I purchased the car and drove it home from DTW. Found it EXTREMELY loose. Probably would not have driven it 375 miles had I seen it. I suspect it was original and had about 87K on it. A failure after only 4 years and 4K is terribly premature. Even if it had never been greased after installation.

PST (James) is a vendor here and you might reach out to him and see what he thinks about it...

I just had a moog go bad at probably 125k. But that's a wag since I don't ever remember off hand how many.
Anyway every thing else is still good.
It's strange to me because all the thing does is go back and forth. Every thing else goes back and forth and up and down.

The moog unit I put on my 66 had a paper tag in the box that said "lubricate every 2000 miles".

2000???

That's less than an oil change interval.

What's up with that?

I also noticed it came with a foam washer instead of a grease boot.

Very odd, and difficult to find just a boot.

Foam doesn't last very long in FL.

I put a generic tie rod end boot on it but those are not full boots like what I think should be there.

We back all the items that we sell with a lifetime limited warranty against craftsman ship and defects as long as you own your vehicle. Please PM with your information ( Full name and address that we shipped the parts to) and I will pull your order. If you could also email pictures of the part in question. My email [email protected]

Thanks
James

Will do James and don't take this post as a bag on your company. All my front end components are from you and this is the first issue. Most parts come with a 1 year warranty so I just assumed it was no longer covered. I don't think a pic will do much good since you'd only notice the up and down movement if the steering wheel is being moved. I can send a video.

I responded to your PM.

Thanks
James

Auto Transport Service
Back