• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

idler pulley

1969 beep beep

Local time
11:40 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone had an idler pulley powder coated? I would like to powder coat mine but I am worried about damaging the bearing and burning the seal.

Powder coating is done at 400 degrees. Metal melts at over 1800 degrees, right?

I am worried about damaging the rubber seal. I am not sure if that seal can be removed.

A lot of them the whole bearing can be pressed out. I'd be concerned about any coating in the v groove. Maybe it can be taped off during the process.

A lot of them the whole bearing can be pressed out. I'd be concerned about any coating in the v groove. Maybe it can be taped off during the process.

Yep, you can tape off what you don't want powder coating getting on/into. The rubber seal "probably" won't take 400F for a half hour without at least getting brittle. All the metal will be fine.

Yep, you can tape off what you don't want powder coating getting on/into. The rubber seal "probably" won't take 400F for a half hour without at least getting brittle. All the metal will be fine.

Don't waste your time masking off anything if you're using a pro coater. Whatever you mask will have to be taken off both to outgas and properly prep the metal (media blasting, washing, phosphate, etc.), and your coater will know how to keep powder out of crucial areas.
I'd be more concerned about the bearing and seal. It's probably best just to spray bomb the idler unless you hire someone who knows what they're doing and has all the right tools to dis- and re-assemble it.

Okay I finally got around to powder coating the idler pulley.

I first pulled the seal and taped the roller bearing area. Powder coated it and lubricated the bearing. Then reinstalled the seal. Looks like it worked.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Auto Transport Service
Back