• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you were doing a HC conversion on an old Mopar for drag racing

furious70

Local time
12:09 AM
Reaction score
Would you use the hp95 and stock converter with a sound German automotive controller set up?

Or a 727?

Or a TH400?

Goal is trying to hit 10.0x because I don't want to put more equipment in my 69 Coronet.

Right now no thoughts of something like drag week, and gear set would likely be 4.10/4.30 I would think. 30x10 tire. Could always hang a gear vendor on the 3spds if plans changed.

Looking at both total cost for trans setup and suitability for application.

727 will do 10.0 with zero issues. Unless you drive on the freeway a lot. I'd just pay the extra fuel with the 4.10. You'll never recoup the cost of the HP95 conversion.
Doug

In theory I've been figuring that. I have not priced out the 727 and converter to handle the HC however to see the difference in cost. Simplicity is worth something however, vs getting the Sound German controller and OEM shifter working for the hp95.
There have been some engine/trans pairs sell for not much more than just a HC. But then I'll have another $1500 into the hp95 to make it work, if not $2k

Auto Transport Service
Back