• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Coil Condenser on a Early Build 1969 Charger 440 R/T

robl72

Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if my Early build (Nov 1968) 1969 Charger R/T 440 Auto would have come with the condenser that is attached to the coil and sits on the coil bracket. I have seen them on engine pics of concourse Daytonas but not necessarily on charger pics I have seen. Just trying to get my car factory correct.

Thank you!

If your car came with a radio I would say yes. Guess we will see what others replies.

It's a static supression condenser but like davek said, radio cars should have one. @HALIFAXHOPS do you have any info?

Back in the day most all cars built without a radio did not have the noise suppressor package. It was hit and miss as some might have none, one, or all. When we installed a factory radio we would get an install kit which had coil alternator, and voltage limiter noise suppressors. So to answer his question he would have to have the build sheet to find out if it was built with a radio or not.

My build sheet has the R11 code… which is an AM music master radio

Forgot to ask Anyone know the part number for this condenser . Couldn’t find it in the parts catolog but might have missed it … my eyes are going …. Lol

Was the alternator condenser internal?

Curious to what this part looks like at the coil. Same situation. Thanks

The one next to the coil is a noise suppressor not a condensor. And yes, if it had a radio it had the suppressor

No internal. It was not called a condenser. They were actually called capacitors.
The difference is the same......condensers vs capacitors......potato vs pototo....BTW...the small condenser external to the coil, mounted beside it, is for radio noise suppression NOT for points arc suppression (that is done by the condenser mounted beside the points).....and to the Mopar round back and square back designs, there IS an internal condenser: the round back dedign, its the output stud connection and the square back design its internal and connected to the positive diode array........its a matter of SEMANTICS......
BOB RENTON

The difference is the same......condensers vs capacitors......potato vs pototo....BTW...the small condenser external to the coil, mounted beside it, is for radio noise suppression NOT for points arc suppression (that is done by the condenser mounted beside the points).....and to the Mopar round back and square back designs, there IS an internal condenser: the round back dedign, its the output stud connection and the square back design its internal and connected to the positive diode array........its a matter of SEMANTICS......
BOB RENTON
The point is simple and maybe you just do not get it and that's fine with me. The poster was trying to to find it and having problems. The FSM calls it a capacitor. He was looking for a condenser and was not having any luck.

The point is simple and maybe you just do not get it and that's fine with me. The poster was trying to to find it and having problems. The FSM calls it a capacitor. He was looking for a condenser and was not having any luck.
Perhaps you should explain your thoughts more clearly or to the point.....I comprehend perfectly....I was just pointing to the same differences.....
BOB RENTON

Trying to figure out if my Early build (Nov 1968) 1969 Charger R/T 440 Auto would have come with the condenser that is attached to the coil and sits on the coil bracket. I have seen them on engine pics of concourse Daytonas but not necessarily on charger pics I have seen. Just trying to get my car factory correct.

Thank you!
My '69 Charger, built 30 January 1969, has the condenser mounted on the coil bracket. It also had an AM radio (now AM/FM) and 4-speed tranny as original equipment. I am the original owner.

My '69 Charger, built 30 January 1969, has the condenser mounted on the coil bracket. It also had an AM radio (now AM/FM) and 4-speed tranny as original equipment. I am the original owner.
Could you please post a pic of it? Thanks

Could you please post a pic of it? Thanks
Well, I would but it's currently off the car after removal of the engine for rebuild, and its removal also separated the wire from the condenser case. The part number stamped on the condenser is RC-1. No manufacturer's name is given, but I recognize the little logo as Standard Motor Products. I don't know for sure that it's original to the car, but I have no record in the logbook or recollection of replacing it.

Auto Transport Service
Back