• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Coil

Ranger16

Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
Like most of you guys, I carry spare parts, belts, ECU, ballast resistor, etc, but I don't have a spare coil (not even sure if I really need one).

1969 383 Road Runner.
Converted to electronic ignition before I bought it, using Mopar Performance kit (orange box and distributor) with a ballast resistor. Not sure if the coil was part of the kit (don't think so), but it is black and the only marking on it says "use with external resistor".

The car is just a cruiser, no racing, don't need anything special or high performance or such, just an unobtrusive stock, black, back up coil.

The question is, is the coil for a '69 (with points) different from a '72 (when Mopar went to electronic ignition)? Do I simply get a coil from any parts store (NOT AutoZone) for a '69 Road Runner, or do I need a special coil for electronic ignition (like for a '72)?

EDIT:
Oops, meant to post this in the ignition forum. Moderator, please move it if deemed necessary.

Same coil until later in the 1970s when they changed the type of connectors for how the wires hook up to them....
But if you want a QUALITY coil for not major dollars --I have some (now, discontinued) BLUE STREAK Ignition coils for you....
Yours, Craig

Don't think it matters. You could check the manuals to see if they are the same part number or just grab an accel coil from anywhere.

Same coil until later in the 1970s when they changed the type of connectors for how the wires hook up to them....
But if you want a QUALITY coil for not major dollars --I have some (now, discontinued) BLUE STREAK Ignition coils for you....
Yours, Craig
Blue streak is a good coil, used to run them on everything

and yes- carry a spare coil if you are going to carry spares
they and the resistor go, less so the box but they can go too
also Wires if you are running carbon core wires
the carbon can arc inside the new insulation without burning through
then the gap gets too wide to fire and you start running rough and then you can't start- ask me how I know
dam cheap caps
I converted to a cap with posts which seems better
I have the AAA with the long range tow
have had to use it twice
CRANK ANGLE SENSORS at least you do not have that challange

Auto Transport Service
Back