• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition question

old timer

Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
Why would the engine turn over with the key in the ' ON ' position ? Making me nuts...:eusa_doh:

Old Timer, Doesn't sound to tough but we need more info, year, make, model. Also, was the new harness OEM or aftermarket?

Put a new engine compartment wiring harness in .

Was your ignition switch working good, before you changed the engine harness? Sounds like something wired wrong at the switch, or the starter relay.

If you can, get a wiring diagram for the car, and start tracing wires for the start/run circuit.

Thanks for the leads guys , 69 Coronet R/T . Aftermarket stock harness for electronic ignition and 6 pack solenoid wire . Been very careful when putting it in place and hooking up the parts as I went along . Also been following a good wiring diagram and new grounding strap . Will go back to the starter and ignition pieces to double check...

X2 wired wrong either by you or the new harness is wrong, not unommon I hear. or the key switch is bad or the car just don't like you :) \o/ Just kidding :)

Help!! All is a sudden!!!! When turning key to start my 1969 Charger I noticed that it did not fire up unles I wiggled the key to a perfect sport to start. Today I tried it and it would just do a minor spark when I wiggle the key to that familiar sweet spot. All of a sudden noticed a smell and some smoke coming from under dash. (Plastic melting smell) jumped out and disconnected the + wire on battery and noticed that the + wire was burning hot to the touch. What should I do to Diognose this problem.. Please help!!!

Devjas, You should start your own thread. Sounds like your ignition switch just shorted out or was about to or you have a loose connection on the connector and it shorted to ground which would make the positive battery cable and post get hot if left on, you did the right thing pulling the + lead off good thinking! Also sounds like you will need to re wire your ignition connector now, I re did mine it will take some work if you're not electrically savvy.

Got any pics of it all?

You will need to remove the ignition switch from the dash and see if you can pull the connector down low enough to work on it, if not you may have to cut each wire individually in order to repair the connector. I have not been able to find a new connector by itself without having to buy a whole new harness.

Feel free to PM me if you need assistance.

Just to put some closure on this subject...I did have the yellow wire hooked up wrong...after checking piece by piece it all came down to a bad ECU ( orange ) . Car runs great now , thanks to youz guyz...:notworthy:

Auto Transport Service
Back