• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition

spyda70

Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
Looking for help 1970 Charger Rt clone 440 4sp. New battery(13.5 V) , alternator, battery cables, Starter relay. Starter bench tested. ( has msd ignition n ron frances dash harness) Car Rarely starts and starter only Clicks. Ran a ground direct from starter bolt to battery. Car fired right up ran it for about 20 minutes. shut off n won't start just back to the clicking.

Any suggestions on what to check or replace? thank you for your time

check all your grounds, I had the same problem and it was a dirty battery connection. I was changing everything

Anywhere there is a ground needs to be cleaned of any paint or corrosion.

Battery to engine block and engine block to firewall. Double check and make sure they are clean.

Also, is the alternator charging? What is the battery reading while engine is running?

Try jumping the battery post to solenoid terminal right on the starter relay.
If it cranks clean every time then it's likely the starter relay.
Replacement parts are about 25% junk these days right out of the box.

Maybe the solenoid wire is not good?

Last edited:
Thank you all for suggestions. Up north for the holidays n will report back after being home. Happy holidays

Problem fixed ! had a bad ground on neutral safety switch. Checked neutral safety switch at starter relay w test light attached to positive. Test light needs to come on. I'll be back as most gauges don't work, headlight doors won't open. For now I just want or drive the car some. Happy New Year!

Auto Transport Service
Back