• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Illinois Prohibited license plate list revealed

XS22J8R

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
A coworker contacted me this morning and sent me this. He’s upset the antique plate “MOIST” on his vintage truck is apparently getting yanked.
None of mine are on the list. I was afraid the one I have on one my six pack cars based on the letter V might be by the far stretch of some Secretary of State drones imagination be considered naughty.
Some are puzzling, MAXWDG is on the blacklist. Why?
A local guy has MAXWEDG on his 64 Dodge, but that appears to be ok.
IHATGM is on the list, but my friends Charger’s plate IHATEGM isn’t!
The list is embedded in this news piece.
Official Illinois Documents Detail Thousands of Offensive Terms Banned From License Plates

Maybe I'll get a letter :D

993plates.jpg

Well, they are "VANITY PLATES" are they not? For the price that IL charges for these types of plates, ya might be better served by going with the standard number/letter plates and save a few $$$'s in the process. Just sayin' is all...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

On antique plates it's one and done for vanity plates. I paid an extra $75 I think it was, when I got my AV plates for my convertible in 1997, and haven't had to pay a surcharge for renewals, or maybe it was 3 or 4 bucks last time. Those plates last 5 years between renewals, I have EA (extended antique) on the Magnum which renew yearly and I don't recall a surcharge for the vanity plate when I renewed it for the first time last year. If there was, it wasn't much.
I think they charge a fairly large surcharge on regular plates yearly for vanity, but I never had a regular plate with vanity.

List makes no common sense, rhyme or reasoning...
As you pointed out a few examples...

that's about right for the govt. DMV & DOT

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but DZNUTS is on the list too. :BangHead:

I meant a letter stating they are being revoked.

I don't run them on the car anyway. The form for the plates had 3 choices to fill out.

First two I put something Porsche 993 related and last I put this as a joke.

The coolest one I ever saw was a 1956 Vette that said CATSASS.

As a geologist, I wanted one that said G OLO G but I didn't want to pony up the extra bucks.

Was a Viper RT/10 here in Frederick MD years ago. Bright freakin' yellow, black stripes. PNS CAR.

Points for honesty, anyway...lol

Might be something like this in my state. All I have is 2nd hand info but, a gal (sister of a friend) with a lets say, reputation, had plates “WHIPS”. This was decades ago. Remember people talking about it then, later hearing she couldn’t get her plates renewed after having them for a few years..

I'd imagine this is actually a "list" of plates that aren't available, not only because they don't meet "clean" criteria, but they're already taken as well. No different than me typing in HENS 2TH or DADS BEE in the Ontario vanity plate website and it will say unavailable.

I spoke with a woman with an early 70’s tan Mustang. She wanted “Ginger” for her plate here in NY but was refused. Apparently hate speech.

This one is available and apparently not on Illinois's banned plate list if anyone wants to get it!

Plate.JPG

Several years ago I applied for, paid and was granted "6T NINER".
I was surprised when it was accepted but it never got issued and they refunded the payment. Upon inquiry I was told upstairs had a problem with it after review.

A few years ago we had a new "Leader of the opposition" party - left wing.... David Cunliffe. Nobody liked him.
I tried to get a plate for him.... disallowed for some reason...

1684206639430.png

I'd imagine this is actually a "list" of plates that aren't available, not only because they don't meet "clean" criteria, but they're already taken as well. No different than me typing in HENS 2TH or DADS BEE in the Ontario vanity plate website and it will say unavailable.
The list says they're prohibited due to not meeting standards. I don't think it's because the names are already taken, they've already issued 922,000 vanity plates and the list is far shorter than that.

Might be something like this in my state. All I have is 2nd hand info but, a gal (sister of a friend) with a lets say, reputation, had plates “WHIPS”. This was decades ago. Remember people talking about it then, later hearing she couldn’t get her plates renewed after having them for a few years..
When I first got out of the Navy one of the jobs I had the bosses daughter had a new RX7, her plate? 1RX LADY.... Most folks assumed the RX was because of the car & while that fit actually she was also many peoples source for "Pharmaceuticals"...

Auto Transport Service
Back