• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Importance of fender tags & broadcast sheets????

696pack

Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
I hope most of you take the time to read this because it effects ALL of us in some way weather you are a NUMBERS GUY OR NOT.

The below quote is from member 68383GTS from another thread that I did not want to highjack so I started this new one.

"I would not buy a true Mopar Muscle car without a fender tag and or a buildsheet."

I see more and more of this all the time and find it disturbing.

Now let me start by saying I am not telling you or anyone else what is right or wrong with regards to what you find important when making YOUR buying decision, only to condider the below regarding how these things are viewed throughout the hobby by others. People that are so concerned with a fender tag or broadcast sheet may be overlooking a true gem.

1. Fender tags are reproduced all the time and it is now easy to have them done so they are undetectable from an original. So how are you going to know?

2. Many cars NEVER had a CORRECT B/S for the car in it in the first place, this is especially true of the LA built cars. So with this in mind, are we supposed to DEVALUE cars that never had one to begin with? Is this fair? Isn't it the same thing as devaluing a car for not having a particular option rather than ADDING value to a car that has it?

3. Mopar people are luck that the V.I.N. tells use the exact model and engine the car was originally built with. These are the key things that determine 95%of the value of a given car. On top of this for MOST 67 back cars have the IBM card on file still at Chrysler Historical for a nominal fee. If you think that liberties are taken (read fake cars or options added) are such a concern in the Mopar world, take a look at most GM cars. They don't have the luxury of having a telling V.I.N. and in most cases only denote if it is a V-8 or 6 cylinder car. Fake cars that are undetectable run rampant with them as well as repoed documentation.

4. The reason most people tell you they want a FT or B/S is so they don't overpay for a car that may not currently be they way it came from the factory.
I have said this time and time again. There are only a few things that are spelled out on either a FT or B/S that really make it easy for the novice to assure themselves of. The trans and the N96 option regardless of what car it is installed on. E.G. a shaker hood for an E body. These are about the only items that are really of concern regarding if they were factory installed or not. WHY?? Because in all other cases the cost of buying the parts and the cost of labor outweigh the ADDED value of the option. This is true even with the 4 speed unless it is on a very high dollar car, as the values of the 4 speed is generally a 5% add over an auto on a given car.

5. If you are knowledgable about the car you are looking at, you can typically tell if the trans has been changed.

6. Unless a car has been completely stripped and dipped there is ALWAYS hidden paint that will tell you what the original color was. An interior color change is much easier to hide.

7. People are now more aware of what makes a difference in the VALUE of the cars and the options. However, there are many other things that people THINK make a difference in the values that really don't, at least in the eyes of the people that provide the money to buy them such as finance companies, and the people that insure these cars. Many people put a big value on color, but you won't find a single value guide or entity mentioned above that will add any value to a car for a particular color.

8. Documentation is now mentioned in some collector car value guides but they still don't assign any value to it. In the same blurb they also address many other things such as modified cars and how they are being viewed in the hobby today. Attached is a page from a price guide I use that describes the grading process. Take special note of the area that speaks of ORIGINALITY. You may be surprised at what and how the hobby is looking at today in terms of value such as resto mods.

9. RESTO MODS
As an example I personally monitor the sales activity of 66-67 Hemi cars and 69 A12 cars because that is what I own. At the height of the market (in terms of value) the highest price paid for an A12 car was a Super Bee for $216K. The car did not have the original engine, had been upgraded to disc brakes, and had been resurrected from totaled, burned car. On top of that, it was RUMORED (and I have researched this and don't believe it to be true) that it was rebodied. This car could be considered to be a resto mod of sorts since one of the key items that was A12 specific are the 11" DRUM brakes that were standard and DISC brakes were not available.
The point to this is that ALL of these cars have value based on there BONES to someone and more and more the values are turning to the actual QUALITY AND APPEARANCE of the car rather than how correct is is to the fender tag or broadcast sheet.

10. In closing, I always value a Mopar based on the V.I.N. and what it tells me. Any options are a bonus and I value them at the MOST based on the cost to add them and this is ONLY if it is an option I care about having on the car. it makes things a lot simpler and easier to sleep.:grin:

COLLECTOR CAR VALUES.jpg

i agree its alway great to get more documentation , buy just because the fender tag or broadcast sheet is gone does not make the car worthless. My 69 charger had no fender tag when i got it so i had one made . This is a 20 thousand dollar car .

69chargtagdc.jpg

alan red tope.jpg

I agree with point 4 and point 10.

Having said that, If you have the build sheet for my car, I'll pay you $1000 for it.

Thanks for not hijacking my thread! :tongueflap:

And this was interesting. Provided me with a lot to think about. So thanks!

I am surprised there is not more action on this post.

Lets hear it for RESTO MODS.

I am a little different than most with my cars.

Most of what I have these days are modified original cars that have value because of their V.I.N. but that doesn't stop me from making them my own.

I like drivers that have some of the creature comforts or options that weren't available for the cars I own.

My 69 six pack Bee has been converted from a console auto to a console 4 speed (still have the original trans) has a 523 stroker with the original six pack, valve covers etc., will have factory A/C if I ever get it finished, has the original AM radio converted to AM/FM with MP3 jack.

My original 1978 Lil Red Express has been converted to a 440 and 4X4.

How about you guys??

moparstuart;54351 should i just throw it away said:
If you do, i'll gladly take it off your hands...:tongueflap:

fender tags and broadcast sheets are good IMHO, but its not necessarily a deal breaker.

i would take pretty much any MoPar, in pretty much any condition, and put her back on the road!!! B/S and/or FT or not!!!

Cars are meant to be driven, and HARD in some cases!!! :grin:

how could anybody throw a MoPar away; there weren't many made, and there aren't many left!!! :confused: (unlike chebbys, one of those could be built brand new in a weekend!!! :rolling:)

Just for the record,.... I have found Broadcast sheets for other cars in vehicles they didn't belong in before,.. I bet you my bottom dollar so many of those damn things were swept up off the floors and thrashed at the plants it's not even funny, to say a car is worthless because of a missing Broadcast sheet is foolish, ......True, they are nice to have, and I am so glad I have a decent copy for my Hemi Vert, but I also have the original window sticker and the service records too, ......I wouldn't turn down "Muscle Car Gold" because it didn't have one. Broadcast sheets are just an added Bonus not all cars had correct Broadcast sheets from the factory.

Broadcast sheets were just a build sheet to let the folks on the assembly lines know what component were to go on that particular car. They followed the cars down the lines. luckily some of the workers found creative places to put their trash so that we now have the "Almighty Broadcast sheets".

And I wish I had a Nickle for every Fender Tag that got trashed on left front fender replacement by the Body Shops back then.

Not to hijack this thread, my Coronet didnt have a fendertag when i got it, i think the previous owner had replaced the fenders, and i havent found the broadcast sheet yet.

Who do you actually contact and what info do they need to make a new fendertag.

Even though I lean more towards stock than modified, the most important thing to me is the VIN tag. I've never owned a car that was so "modified" that I couldn't get in to the "forensics" of it and know (with probably 95%+ certainty) how it was originally built. This comes from many many years of messing with these cars, and paying attention to what they can tell us.

"Agent J" is one of those excellent examples of "crime scene evidence" having no sheet or tag, but being untouched and showing exactly how it was originally built. Things like moldings and a three speaker dash are hard to dismiss as "deviations from stock" when the victim has been "dead" for (probably) 30+ years. They are things that would have been done during a restoration.

BUT....that said......the people who called inquiring about the car seemed to care more about having those two items, than the proof of the car itself.

to each his (or her) own

Not to hijack this thread, my Coronet didnt have a fendertag when i got it, i think the previous owner had replaced the fenders, and i havent found the broadcast sheet yet.

There are several companies that make them. On of them is AG backeast. If you do a web search with that I am sure they will show up.

Galen Govier makes them - Galen's Tag Service on the web.

Even though I lean more towards stock than modified, the most important thing to me is the VIN tag. I've never owned a car that was so "modified" that I couldn't get in to the "forensics" of it and know (with probably 95%+ certainty) how it was originally built. This comes from many many years of messing with these cars, and paying attention to what they can tell us.

"Agent J" is one of those excellent examples of "crime scene evidence" having no sheet or tag, but being untouched and showing exactly how it was originally built. Things like moldings and a three speaker dash are hard to dismiss as "deviations from stock" when the victim has been "dead" for (probably) 30+ years. They are things that would have been done during a restoration.

BUT....that said......the people who called inquiring about the car seemed to care more about having those two items, than the proof of the car itself.

to each his (or her) own

I agree.

We can thank people like Galen Govier for people that put so much value on these two items. I have seen GG state in writting that a broadcast sheet can increase the value of a car by as much as 5%. To me that is something for a certified classic car appraiser to determine and I don't believe that GG meets that criteria.

We should be thankful that Mopar V.I.N.s tell us what they do and that original looking V.I.N. tag reproduction is so closely watched and carrys such heavy penalties if done outside the law. It is the ONLY thing you can 99% rely on to determine what you are really buying.

Galen Govier makes them - Galen's Tag Service on the web.

GG does NOT make them. He will ask you many questions to determine what should go on the tag and then have one of the other companies make it for him. The average cost for that service was about $275. The cost of having the tag made is about $60. Since the Internet and all of the car forums there are many people out there willing to help others with that for free. I think that is pretty much a dead business for GG. He has moved on to the much more lucrative "certification service."

GG does NOT make them. He will ask you many questions to determine what should go on the tag and then have one of the other companies make it for him. The average cost for that service was about $275. The cost of having the tag made is about $60. Since the Internet and all of the car forums there are many people out there willing to help others with that for free. I think that is pretty much a dead business for GG. He has moved on to the much more lucrative "certification service."

Good info - thanks for clarifying. This discussion makes me glad I just have my little 'ole run of the mill 318 Poly car. Not much of a fender tag to decode.

Auto Transport Service
Back