• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IMPORTANT! Anyone who has dogs that are afraid or stressed by loud noises, fireworks, thunder, I have found a solution!

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
I'm going to preface this with a quick note: I was a dog trainer and I lost my DEAREST dog, my black Lab Bud, to thunderstorm stress at old age. He was so dear to me that his ashes, in his oak urn, are going in my coffin when my dirt nap comes. I have had a couple of other dogs, one has since passed on, but one is still with me, and I found last night that another of my 4 dogs was stressed too. There hasn't been ANYTHING MORE IMPORTANT to me than finding a solution to a difficult problem: Dogs stressed by loud noises like thunder, fireworks, and so on. I have used the Thunder Shirt on one, and other ideas, but last night I FINALLY found something that works:
PLAYING THE SOUNDS OF WOLVES HOWLING ON A CONTINUOUS LOOP. I am grateful and amazed, and I strongly suggest you try it if you have any dogs with this problem. Best of luck!

coincidence that this was posted this morning!
last night I figured out something about my dog, He's usually not afraid of thunder, fireworks, or any engines running! last night my neighbour was setting off some fireworks down at the beach while we were hanging out at the firepit. One of the fireworks fell over and it fired a bunch of incindiary rounds skipping across the ice on the lake! all the while the dog was right by my side! next thing i know he's up on my porch by the door wanting in the house and wouldn't come back to me! was he scared? no just smarter than the rest of us!

Thanks for the heads up Bio.
It's a big deal around here to shoot off fireworks for the whole week surrounding. There mortars going off right now.

That's interesting, I'll have to figure out how to get that sound. Thank you.

Wish I would have thought about that back when we had our wolf dog. As he aged, he grew more and more afraid of thunder and fireworks. He lived to be 14 years old.

Hey, thanks for all of the replies.
There are a number of procedures and products made specifically to address preventing or alleviating STRESS in dogs, and this thread is specifically referring to noise related stress.
I have seen the damage to property caused by a thunder stressed dog, BUT more importantly, I have suffered the loss of my best friend dog due to old age and excessive stress from a particularly bad thunderstorm when I wasn't home, AND I have continued to see how badly it affected Bitty (who has since passed from old age and an incurable affliction) and on New Year's Eve. Laney, who is my 2nd oldest dog at about 13, pants and shows other obvious signs of stress from thunderstorms and other repetitive loud noises like gunfire during duck season and FIREWORKS. I haven't been able to try this yet with thunderstorms but I will, but I was amazed at how well it worked on New Year's Eve!
Tony, Bitty's brother who is about 14, and usually hasn't shown loud noise stress was having problems this NYE as well. BOTH dogs actually went to sleep after they obviously calmed down from my playing HOWLING WOLVES in a continuous loop on YouTube.
I will look for or make an audio only source for the future, but in my YouTube settings, I can select "play loop" and the video and audio repeats.
This is the video I used:

There are a number of procedures and products made specifically to address preventing or alleviating STRESS in dogs, and this thread is specifically referring to noise related stress.
I have seen the damage to property caused by a thunder stressed dog, BUT more importantly, I have suffered the loss of my best friend dog due to old age and excessive stress from a particularly bad thunderstorm when I wasn't home, AND I have continued to see how badly it affected Bitty (who has since passed from old age and an incurable affliction) and on New Year's Eve. Laney, who is my 2nd oldest dog at about 13, pants and shows other obvious signs of stress from thunderstorms and other repetitive loud noises like gunfire during duck season and FIREWORKS. I haven't been able to try this yet with thunderstorms but I will, but I was amazed at how well it worked on New Year's Eve!
Tony, Bitty's brother who is about 14, and usually hasn't shown loud noise stress was having problems this NYE as well. BOTH dogs actually went to sleep after they obviously calmed down from my playing HOWLING WOLVES in a continuous loop on YouTube.
I will look for or make an audio only source for the future, but in my YouTube settings, I can select "play loop" and the video and audio repeats.

Wow, that's haunting. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Here's a website that converts youtube videos to an mp3 audio file you can download and play on different devices.

Wow, that's haunting. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.
I tried to find one that didn't have too many "shrill" sounds in it, or too much background noise. Ideally I would have just the howling of the wolves.

Here's a website that converts youtube videos to an mp3 audio file you can download and play on different devices.

[/URL]
I converted it, didn't have to hit "continue" or sign up for anything, and downloaded it.
This was all done on my Android phone.
I was able to add it to several playlists, but the only app I have that showed up to play the file AND had a "loop" option (for repetitive playback) was "Hi-Fi Cast" which is a free app I have for other purposes.
Here's the screenshot of me playing it back in loop mode:
Screenshot_20240102_084120_Hi-Fi Cast.jpg

I can "cast" it to my streaming devices, a Chromecast Audio device downstairs and my WiiM streamer in the Theater room.

...................BOTH dogs actually went to sleep after they obviously calmed down from my playing HOWLING WOLVES in a continuous loop on YouTube.

:thumbsup: Don't your pups sing-a-along?

If Lobo, my old Malamute was hearing that, he would have joined in. He could do some singing!

1704208235407.png

Interesting. My daughter has two pooches and one goes crazy when hearing booms, barks non-stop. She’s tried the jacket and some other stuff out there and none worked. Odd how some dogs aren’t bothered while others are.

Thanks for sharing this, will pass this along to my daughter.

Interesting. My daughter has two pooches and one goes crazy when hearing booms, barks non-stop. She’s tried the jacket and some other stuff out there and none worked. Odd how some dogs aren’t bothered while others are.
Thanks for sharing this, will pass this along to my daughter.
If I can help ANY dog packs with this information, that is SO REWARDING.
PLEASE let me know what ever results you may get!!

Don't your pups sing-a-along?
I used to be able to get Tony and Bitty to howl by howling myself, or by saying certain things in a high pitch voice.
Bitty has crossed the Rainbow Bridge and Tony has some heart/breathing issues, so I don't encourage it anymore.
The other 3, 2 pure Labs (Korben and Leeloo) and my "mini-Lab/Street Hound" Laney are oblivious. Laney though is the one who needed the greatest relief, and she stopped panting and pacing and actually went to sleep!!

We lost Rosie on January 12, 2023 due to a thunderstorm.......... We miss her dearly.

Rosie.jpg

Thanks for posting this information, my border collie is 11 now, has always been stressed by guns and thunder storms I will give this a try lenard hat.jpg

Sorry to hear about your pups getting stressed out

Never really had a dog bugged or stressed by fireworks, gunfire or thunderstorms
or my loud cars, & we do get some pretty good thunderstorms up here
the bad ones that sit over the area for a time...
They're loud as hell & crack like a whip, will shake the house & rattle the windows...
Then my current Lab, Elvis' will come over & sit by me or my dad
his ears are going crazy, alert & he's looking at us or looking around,
not really acting stressed, more curious, like wtf is that...
He slept thru the firecrackers & BS on last NY Eve...

I have notice them when they become elderly, getting more sensitive to loud noises
if they are by me, I pet them & tell them it's OK
seems to calm them down

Elvis;
He gets more stressed (more hyper) by the coyotes, howling out in the back 40
especially right after they make a kill, he'll sit on the back deck,
keeps looking back at me (or used to, he pretty much ignores them now)
Seems he wants to go out & join them chase them (I won't let him),
I tell him those are bad dogs, stay away for them
or he'll howl sometimes too...
He really goes off if he hears a firetruck sirens, starts howling
he used to do it with the radio on & when he heard a harmonica, as a pup
not stressed but excited, doesn't do it anymore (No Bob Dylan Music here :poke: )
then he does anything with gunshots, firecrackers or thunder...

A lot of times my dogs are around me working with loud tools
or out in or around the garage, me making noise, leaf blower
hammering on or pounding on something or the compressor running etc.
Elvis is 'sort of scared' by the Kirby vacuum cleaner too, I mess with him too
he's fine when it shuts off, barks at it when it's on
or goes & lays in his kennel until I'm done...
He doesn't like the water hose either, I think he associates it with 'a bath'
only water dog I've owned that doesn't like a bath,
he just tolerates it when he's ordered to...

pick up a gun/any gun & he's ready

they need to be conditioned for that stuff

'some trainers' will think it's rewarding bad behavior
(by the trainer)
to coddle them when nervous, they will always expect it then
come to you when scared, you'll protect them coddle them
not necessarily by me,
that's called negative conditioning

Like all mine;
when he was a wee lil' dude, I'll usually let them see it & smell it
some I'll hold them too he was conditioned for gunshots...
A good bird-dog can't be shy of gunshots, or loud noises...
I'll do some banging pots or on the sides of garbage cans etc.
get them used to, when they are young, seeing you do it & hearing it,
various noises...
They associate it with you that way, know it's OK...
Most mine, I start out before hunting, seeing what they can tolerate 1st
with a .22 shorts or with a .410 and graduate to the
20 ga. then the 12 ga. or pistol & rifle...

My sister's Belgian Malinois Koni
(he flunked/washed out of 2 years of military training, locked in a damn pen/cage
all the damn time 16+ hrs a day, is why she has him, he's a rescue, like her 3rd one
)
he gets all stressed out by loud stuff, shakes like crazy...
I think they beat him, for it, & I think his trainer was a woman too...
He likes men way better & other than my sister,
he's extremely cautious of women...
She tried one of the 'thunder-shirts' compression therapy,
she said;
"it didn't work, he's used to having a vest on too",
She's a decent dog trainer, she knows dogs pretty well...
The weird thing is, when we go shooting he's fine,
he's just a big lap dog, that looks mean, just scared of lightning & thunder
or sudden loud noises...

Wall of text - Holy wall of text Batman, Budnicks is reminiscing again.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got 5 pups currently in my pack, they all howl when the local fire station shoots off its siren at noon and 6 or when ever there’s a call…
Very funny watching a new pup to the pack, watching her sisters howling and then try’s it herself…

Auto Transport Service
Back