• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing an A body Mopar 4 speed into a B body or E body

rww124

Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone installed an A body Mopar 4 speed into a B body or E body and what needs to be done to do the install.

It won’t work in a console car. You’ll need to move the transmission hump. I understand the shifter is farther rearward. Maybe where it should have been originally.

Tailshaft and extension housing is shorter on A-body. Shifter location is different.

You'll need a transmission stretcher.

There's no shortage of B body A833's out there...
I have yet to find a reasonably priced 1969 to 1971 18 spline A 833 for a B body in Winnipeg Canada. If the mandatory stamping on the passenger side of the trans. started in 1968 then 1968 to 1971 as after 1971 factory horsepower went to crap. I currently have a fine spline A833 from 1974 in my 69 Super Bee with a 440/6 stroked to 512 however don't know how much abuse that trans. will take. The car show sign I got along with the purchase of the car stated 600+ H/P and 650+ Ft LB. torque however won't know the true readings until I get the car on a chassis dyno this summer.

B-bodies and E-bodies have different shifter locations, E-body is further back. 70-74 A-833s have mounting points for both, and are available in 18 spline and 23 spline but the 18 splines are getting scarce and more expensive..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Is the main/output shaft the same 18 spline to 23 spline?

Street car? Street tires? The 23 spline will be fine. Race car with good size slicks and suspension? Maybe not. Trying to harness 650ft.lbs. torque on the street is a way different scenario than a track with hook.

oldkimmer, I assume that you have the 'dog bone' adapter.
That will not extend the shifter to the rear.

B-body tail housings have 2 mounting positions.
The dog bone will place the shifter between the 2 positions, like so.
Oct 29th (5).jpg
Oct 29th (6).jpg

Look at the second picture, you will see the rearward mounting position. It is visible in the first picture too.

oldkimmer, I assume that you have the 'dog bone' adapter.
That will not extend the shifter to the rear.

B-body tail housings have 2 mounting positions.
The dog bone will place the shifter between the 2 positions, like so.
View attachment 1600248View attachment 1600249
Look at the second picture, you will see the rearward mounting position. It is visible in the first picture too.
Mine looks like this but I can’t remember the legnth. Kim

this was mounted in a 69 road runner with only the front mount but I can’t remember if it was an A or B body trannt. It was over 25 years ago. Kim

image.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget the driveshaft issue once the Mickey Mouse shifter issue is sorted.

Auto Transport Service
Back