• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing carpet in a 71 GTX

rlowe

Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how far to extend the carpet up the firewall to be as close to factory as possible. Thanks...

I don't know if this will help you, but this is how far it went up on my 73 RR.
20140123_122115small.jpg

The shape of the carpet and the heel pad being right under the gas pedal as shown should dictate where it belongs.
DO NOT put that supplied grommet around your dimmer switch, that is a GM thing.

The shape of the carpet and the heel pad being right under the gas pedal as shown should dictate where it belongs.

I just wonder, since the supplier leaves extra material, where the end of the carpet should be on the firewall to be correct.

I prefer it to be high enough so you can't see the firewall through the back window:blob1:

Attachments

• 5.19.12 041.jpg
    5.19.12 041.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 189

Really, the grommet is a GM thing? Well, I guess it doesn't really matter, as my previous original carpet ripped out because the switch eventually ate the carpet.

Hmm? The original carpet in my `66 Belvedere II had the grommet. Maybe it's a 'by year' thing? :eusa_think:

I believe in early to mid 60's it may have been used but I'm not knowledgeable in those cars.
Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back