• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Hub Caps

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
I have decided to install the factory correct hub caps on my GTX. I’m wondering if there is a trick to installing them without beating the crap out of the painted wheel? I tried “popping” them on by hand and smacked on them a couple times with a mallet and decided to step back and ask for advice before I continue bashing the wheel. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Half way in on one side and hit the opposite side. Once it's caught work your way around .Use a rubber mallet. The ones on my Satellite can be a witch.

But understnd the the rim still takes a beating, and I only use my hand.

If the rims have heavy primer and paint it will make it tougher. Thin clear tape might help. A little clear silicone grease may help.

I have decided to install the factory correct hub caps on my GTX. I’m wondering if there is a trick to installing them without beating the crap out of the painted wheel? I tried “popping” them on by hand and smacked on them a couple times with a mallet and decided to step back and ask for advice before I continue bashing the wheel. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Like the others said above...get two nubs seated, then using the palm of your hand give the opposite side a good thwack.

For removal, I used a long flat blade screwdriver, and a rag to protect the rim where the screwdriver contacts....a decent thump on the screwdriver handle should pop the caps off easily.

:xscuseless:

1694568397545.gif

put the cap over two of the nubs and hit it to get it over the third one. Only the third one will get scratched. So figure out which one that is relative to the valve stem and when you remove them pry on that area to remove the cap.

Auto Transport Service
Back