• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

insurance claim against neighbor

I like to get along with my neighbors.
One had a tree with a dying branch that hung over my driveway. I asked to cut it and he said no. In a blizzard a month later, it fell crushing three of my cars. I could have legally cut anything over my land and he is a long time friend of the family, so I choked it down and moved on.

This thread is about my siding. For over a year, his 50 year old shingles were blowing off and would hit my house now and then. Annoying, that is until a huge storm blew off almost all of his shingles and beat the hell out of the west side of my house. I want to get along, but he has a party planned next month and I believe he called code enforcement about a front clip and such in my garden. We are complaint only system and they won't tell you who complained. Fair enough, I should have the clip and other things indoors for their own good.

So all of that to ask: We both have the same insurance company and I did call them on the tree incident; they said it was an act of God, but I could put a claim on my own policy. One car was a beater, another was a Scout and I had a replacement roof for it, so I just let it go.

I'm thinking my neighbor has a good point. I should take more pride in my home, so I want my siding fixed. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? The more I can learn, the less chance of getting blindsided by the insurance company.

How long ago was the tree incident? You might try letting the government rattle the insurance companies cage... They are gonna take your money, might as well get something for it..

https://dlr.sd.gov/insurance/doi_complaint.aspx

Hard to be the nice guy when the neighbor doesn't play by the same rulebook..

Did they ask you on your insurance form if your a holy man ?

A branch that is dead or dying is not an act of god... That's negligence to properly maintain the tree.
I'd get a arborist to confirm this as it will give you more meat in Court! Good Luck

Auto Transport Service
Back