• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance Company Doesn't Want to Accept My Policy Payment?

Dibbons

Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
Tried to pay homeowner's monthly policy payment via phone. First called the toll free number and punched in the policy number and phone number. Usually after those steps, I can just make the payment via credit card and following the automated prompts. However, today I was transferred to a live representative who asked for the policy number again (of course). And then wanted last four digits of a SS number. Not willing to offer that data, I was asked for my birthday. After not offering that data, I ended the call. Oh well, maybe my bank account will accrue more interest this month (it's been averaging one cent per month-no kidding). Can't ever log onto the company website, can only get the message "This Page is Currently Unavailable". Haven't been able to log on using any computer system for a couple of years now. This is a major insurance company to boot (I won't give out the name just to be nice).

A Mexican Insurance Co ?
or a multinational Ins. Co. ?

So you didn't call from the phone # number registered to the ccard. Wouldn't verify your date of birth also tied to the card and question why they didn't take payment, all while calling from Mehiko. Hmmmm...

where in Calif. ?
& is it a fire risk (prone area) or property proximity related ?

lots of companies droping coverage in Calif.
if you let it laps
going to have a problems getting a new co. to pick it up too
gettinge harder daily
(Thanks to Govn. Gruesome Gavin Newsome, fire policies & fire control funding)

Most legit insurance co. want, or ask for a date of birth at a min.
or a drivers licence etc. &/or last 4 digits of the SS for ID purposes
that's not really out of the norm, that they ask for it
if you aren't willing to give it
they probably can't identify/confirm that you are the actual owner
can't blame them for that, that's for your own protection

if it's actually your insurance co. no problem giving them that either
it's identification
(I don't give my hole SS to anyone, except SS or when buying a car, at a dealership it's required now)
if you trust the source with insuring your home
& date of birth is not an issue, they need some form of ID,
especially over the phone (or online)

often they have another question
like your mother's maiden name or your 1st dogs name or 1st car etc.

& as long as it's not someone else scamming you
I don't see it as a problem
Especially if it's you who contacted them

Now if it's some cold call trying to update stuff or get payment
I'd be weary, and suspicious, lots of scammers out there
(especially phone calls) praying on especially elders/retired folks
&
IMO or experiences, mostly a real Ins. co. your agent (key) they do that stuff
by mail 99.9% of the time
or you acting on it, engaging them by online payment
or something alone those lines
if you're set up for going paperless, I'm not a fan of
(another thing I don't/won't do, I want a record of it)

Last edited:
If they gave you that much trouble taking a payment imagine if they had to pay you for a claim? Just sayin.

Tried to pay homeowner's monthly policy payment via phone. First called the toll free number and punched in the policy number and phone number. Usually after those steps, I can just make the payment via credit card and following the automated prompts. However, today I was transferred to a live representative who asked for the policy number again (of course). And then wanted last four digits of a SS number. Not willing to offer that data, I was asked for my birthday. After not offering that data, I ended the call. Oh well, maybe my bank account will accrue more interest this month (it's been averaging one cent per month-no kidding). Can't ever log onto the company website, can only get the message "This Page is Currently Unavailable". Haven't been able to log on using any computer system for a couple of years now. This is a major insurance company to boot (I won't give out the name just to be nice).
Normal questions. What is your birthday a national secret?

Standard questioning on verification of who you are is last 4 and DOB. Do not see how you wouldn't comply with a basic request like that. I have to with just about every entity I do business with including the Fed Govt!!! To use the online service try using a Private Window which is available by clicking on the 3 bars in the upper right-hand corner of your browser and then logging on. I have had to use that means on some of my accounts for various reasons, particularly my Credit Union. As for who your Ins Carrier is? Why the secrecy??? You stated it is In CA so they must be admitted for doing business in Mexico and must provide compliance there and in the US. Just sounds really fishy to me Dibbons and yet I am always suspicious of anything pertaining to Mexico!!! cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

i heard this similar story from my wife last week , her complaining that now she’ll get charged a late fee . my reply why did you wait till the last day , and why didn’t you just send a check ? i probably talk w her again next week sometime…..we’ll maybe by then !

Is this a california thing?
Last I checked in WI, anyone could call and pay my bills for me or deposit money in my bank account. They might ask at the bank for a signature and to confirm you are OK with dropping money in someone else's account, but never heard of it being denied.

Is this a california thing?
Last I checked in WI, anyone could call and pay my bills for me or deposit money in my bank account. They might ask at the bank for a signature and to confirm you are OK with dropping money in someone else's account, but never heard of it being denied.
Not a Calif requirement. The FDIC pressures banks to require I.D. for deposits and most any transaction. The Feds have pushed this as a way to prevent/limit money laundering etc. Last I heard it was up to the bank to decide

If you are calling from Mexico that may be why you got a person on the call to verify who you are. After working in Mex for 5 years it seemed there was always problems calling out of Mex. I called the home office once 3 times before someone finally answered the phone because the call was coming from Mex.

Ours went up 30% two years in a row.

They will give us a $300 discount if we sign a paper agreeing not to sue them if we have a claim and they don't pay out a high enough amount.

WTF?

Auto Transport Service
Back