• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sorry but i have to vent about cell phone companies.

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Warning this is long.
This is not about my phone , Myself and my wife are T mobile customers and are ok with their service.
My dear mother is 86 she has been a verizon customer since you pulled antennas out of the top of the phone.
Over the years she has had a few new phones and plans.
She asked me a couple weeks back what we pay for our phone plan. After telling her she showed me her monthly bill.
One person, no phone payments, unlimited talk and text, 1 gig of data (yes 1 gig).
She is paying $119 and change.
So now the fight begins... I call T mobile at the location we use and ask what it would cost to add her onto our plan.
Flat $50 per month. Unlimited everything. She retains her number.

All they need is moms password for her verizon acct.and her phone pin/password.
She does not have them.
She has no email acct. In trying to reset her passwords and pin with verizon they ask for your email address linked to the acct. That dose not exist.
I have made 2 trips to Des Moines to a verizon store all they do is had me a list of phone numbers. I have had multiple calls with non English speaking customer service reps. I have asked to speak with a supervisor twice.
Once they hung up. The other time they stuck me on hold until I gave up.
My next option is I guess since I just retired I could take a job with a verizon store for a week to gain access to their system.
All joking aside I am at a loss of what to do next. She wants to keep her number and I understand that.
Any ideas guys ? That does not end with me in jail.
Thanks and sorry for the book.

I'm with T-Mobile and was paying $70 month for 2 lines, unlimited everything. As you probably know, they increased that charge to $80 unless you give them a debit card or bank account number, which I refuse to do for obvious reasons. I called Consumer Cellular and they told me I could switch over using our existing phones and numbers. I plan to do that soon if only for the customer service aspect. They claim to handle it all in-country. The cost is close to the same.

We have had Consumer Cellular for going on 10+ years. Awesome outfit, no issues wherever we travel to. We had Verizon before the change. Apples to apples comparison with talk and data, CC was $100 less per month. CC uses Verizons repeaters. Where does the c-note go????? No contracts with CC also.

I'm with T-Mobile and was paying $70 month for 2 lines, unlimited everything. As you probably know, they increased that charge to $80 unless you give them a debit card or bank account number, which I refuse to do for obvious reasons. I called Consumer Cellular and they told me I could switch over using our existing phones and numbers. I plan to do that soon if only for the customer service aspect. They claim to handle it all in-country. The cost is close to the same.
Thanks for the reply, what I have to figure out is how to retrieve her acct and phone pin and password from Verizon.
It seems they are holding that info hostage so she can not switch carriers.

Warning this is long.
This is not about my phone , Myself and my wife are T mobile customers and are ok with their service.
My dear mother is 86 she has been a verizon customer since you pulled antennas out of the top of the phone.
Over the years she has had a few new phones and plans.
She asked me a couple weeks back what we pay for our phone plan. After telling her she showed me her monthly bill.
One person, no phone payments, unlimited talk and text, 1 gig of data (yes 1 gig).
She is paying $119 and change.
So now the fight begins... I call T mobile at the location we use and ask what it would cost to add her onto our plan.
Flat $50 per month. Unlimited everything. She retains her number.

All they need is moms password for her verizon acct.and her phone pin/password.
She does not have them.
She has no email acct. In trying to reset her passwords and pin with verizon they ask for your email address linked to the acct. That dose not exist.
I have made 2 trips to Des Moines to a verizon store all they do is had me a list of phone numbers. I have had multiple calls with non English speaking customer service reps. I have asked to speak with a supervisor twice.
Once they hung up. The other time they stuck me on hold until I gave up.
My next option is I guess since I just retired I could take a job with a verizon store for a week to gain access to their system.
All joking aside I am at a loss of what to do next. She wants to keep her number and I understand that.
Any ideas guys ? That does not end with me in jail.
Thanks and sorry for the book.
I just switched my phone from Verizon to T-Mobile.

To transfer the number, you need your Verizon account number and a transfer pin. The transfer pin can be requested on their web site but it is buried because that means you are ending service with them.

In your mother's case, I'm not sure what else you can do. Perhaps try to log in with her phone number and what she feels might be the most obvious password she might have used. Hopefully in a couple of tries you can get in? Failing that, and without an email address or her account's password you'd have to call and/or visit an Verizon store. And you have obviously done that and gotten no help. (It surprises me that the store can't help - maybe they didn't want to?)

What if you went to the Verizon store and asked to have her account updated (make no mention of closing it)? Then perhaps you can add the email address and then be able to get in to her account. Hopefully fixing the account details without telling Verizon why may get you someone who is more willing to help. Once you have that, THEN you can transfer it out.

I use TING and my bill over the last 7 years or so has never been over $23 a month... and it uses t-mobile towers.. Love this company so much. Also no contract or bullshit fees

@1967coronet, perhaps try to create an online user account for her on Verizon's website if you haven't already? Maybe it's possible due to the age of her account that it may have not ever have had online access established? We too have had Verizon for a very long time. We could actually choose our own phone number way back when. One of our numbers is actually a compilation of ours and our kids birth years at the time.

I just switched my phone from Verizon to T-Mobile.

To transfer the number, you need your Verizon account number and a transfer pin. The transfer pin can be requested on their web site but it is buried because that means you are ending service with them.

In your mother's case, I'm not sure what else you can do. Perhaps try to log in with her phone number and what she feels might be the most obvious password she might have used. Hopefully in a couple of tries you can get in? Failing that, and without an email address or her account's password you'd have to call and/or visit an Verizon store. And you have obviously done that and gotten no help. (It surprises me that the store can't help - maybe they didn't want to?)

What if you went to the Verizon store and asked to have her account updated (make no mention of closing it)? Then perhaps you can add the email address and then be able to get in to her account. Hopefully fixing the account details without telling Verizon why may get you someone who is more willing to help. Once you have that, THEN you can transfer it out.
Thanks Hawk for the reply. Yep password, We have tried birthdays, grandkids names and dates, dead pets names ect ect.lol
I am heading along with her to a different verizon store today. Mabey try slipping some kid there $50 for the info ( ;
If nothing else we have lunch and we spend some time together.

Can't really help but I can tell you that I dealt with verizon on behalf of a very large corporate customer for 15 years and they were a NIGHTMARE to deal with.

I briefly entertained doing business with them as a consumer, but that was also a nightmare.

I have since vowed never do business with that company as long as I live.

@1967coronet, perhaps try to create an online user account for her on Verizon's website if you haven't already? Maybe it's possible due to the age of her account that it may have not ever have had online access established? We too have had Verizon for a very long time. We could actually choose our own phone number way back when. One of our numbers is actually a compilation of ours and our kids birth years at the time.
Thanks, yep she has had her acct for a very long time my guess is back into the 90s.
She has updated phones and plans over the years and allways used to just drive into Des Moines herself.
She has stopped city driving now plus figured out she is paying to much.
Everything we try involves verizon asking for a password or pin.
The idea of creating a new verizon acct may work along with a new pin/password.

Thanks for the reply, what I have to figure out is how to retrieve her acct and phone pin and password from Verizon.
It seems they are holding that info hostage so she can not switch carriers.
I don't understand why they want all the Verizon info? All they are doing is porting a number.

I switched to T Mobile from AT&T besides saving a money each month. The customer service the 2x I’ve called I spoke to the same American lady each time.

I don't understand why they want all the Verizon info? All they are doing is porting a number.
They need some proof it's her phone# and account and they are moving the correct phone number.
Otherwise people could steal your phone number by switching to a new carrier using your phone number.
Once again the criminals have made it difficult for everyday honest people.

They get your number then they are possibly able to perform 2 step verification and change passwords etc.. with your accounts since the verification goes to a text to their "new phone".

Patriot Mobile - veteran owned, Christian conservative company. Pro-2A and prolife. Offers Vets/first responders discount 10% off monthly bill.
Ditched AT&T after 15 years and have never looked back. Use your current ph and keep your number.
We have 3 lines. Unlimited everything $134.71/month

www.patriotmobile.com/

Oh, and when you call customer service, you speak to an American with a solid grasp of the english language.

$15 a month if you pay the full year. They piggyback on tmobile's network. Good deal if tmobile has good coverage in your area.

I dropped my cell carrier from AT&Terrible after repeated tries at changing my plan to the First Responders, Military, etc, reduced plan as they routinely would do it for a couple of months at the discount rate and then jack it back to the old plan. Every CS call was to the PI which got rather old even though I can understand their broken English having been stationed there in the 80s. I also wound up canceling my Internet and House phone...I prefer a landline over FOOKING cell lines...and the Internet has constantly dropped out with their High-Speed Fiber Optic crap and loss of the landline. Also had to deal with the PI customer service reps. My neighbor is a lineman for Spectrum/Charter and suggested I give his company a try as they are coaxial cable and far more reliable when it comes to service. I also got their cell service at 33.00/month and the phone internet at 80.00/month. I can deal with that far better than what AT&Terrible was charging me. Personally, I don't rely on my cell for much other than when on the road traveling or for a couple of credit union banking apps I need to have in addition to their website. It just sits on my desk and gets a recharge about every 10 days. I just do not understand why in this new modern age, so many now rely upon a cell to do any and all things and constantly have them grafted to their ears and eyes down!!! A laptop or desktop is so much easier and worth it compared to those small-screened devices so many now rely upon. As for your dilemma here? CC is a very good option for Seniors and if you have it, Spectrum also has good Senior rates. The one fact that puts Spectrum over all others is, that their CS is US based and English is clearly the understandable language of choice...Good luck with your situation...cr8crshr/Bill :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

How does mom pay her bill?

You should be able to verify ownership of the account that way.

How does mom pay her bill?

You should be able to verify ownership of the account that way.
Well that's part of the mess, her phone was one of three on a company plan.
End of Sept, we all retired and sold out the body shop and property.
Her phone was always paid for by the shop.

Now for a update.
After a trip back to Des Moines to the T mobile location we use we met a young man who was able to sort this mess out.
(Paul) does this each day for a living.
My stepdad who passed away years ago was the original verizon customer to start the plan.
We are sitting there with the rep and my 86 year old mother tells Paul my stepdads birthday after learning her late husband was the original acct.
Shazam,....... that was the verizon pin.
We got her and her phone switched keeping her number.
Hats off to the young guy at T mobile he spent at least a hr on this.
:thumbsup:

Verizon is a joke,had to bring in my wifes death certificate 3 times to cancel her account. WTF

Auto Transport Service
Back