• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake Manifolds - Question for build guru’s

Ron,
Perhaps your machine shop screwed you. Here what I would do. It will void your warrantee, but it sounds like they will not honor it anyway.
I would;
1) pull the valve covers (both) and bring #1 to TDC up using the valve train not the timing marker.
2) Pull your dist. cap and see if your rotor lines up to the #1 plug wire.
3) Check to see where the timing marker is at. TDC? Off? Which way? How much?
4) Pull the timing cover off and check the timing mark alignment dots. They may have retarded your cam timing by a tooth.
5) Fix that distributor. There is a guy on Ebay selling a Small Cap HEI distributor and 50,000 coil for $120.00. It a simple wire connection. You want to limit total timing to 30 degrees max.(I had one special built as we are using a blower)
6) Check your vacuum reading before you start the above and after you finish the above. Especially if you made any changes.

I have heard of your running issues before. I need to pick the cobwebs from my OLD dinosaur gray matter and see what comes up. But if you do the the above, be VERY VERY ACCURATE in your work. Look for anything slightly off.

If you want him to call PM him your number don't post it openly...

Ron,
Perhaps your machine shop screwed you. Here what I would do. It will void your warrantee, but it sounds like they will not honor it anyway.
I would;
1) pull the valve covers (both) and bring #1 to TDC up using the valve train not the timing marker.
2) Pull your dist. cap and see if your rotor lines up to the #1 plug wire.
3) Check to see where the timing marker is at. TDC? Off? Which way? How much?
4) Pull the timing cover off and check the timing mark alignment dots. They may have retarded your cam timing by a tooth.
5) Fix that distributor. There is a guy on Ebay selling a Small Cap HEI distributor and 50,000 coil for $120.00. It a simple wire connection. You want to limit total timing to 30 degrees max.(I had one special built as we are using a blower)
6) Check your vacuum reading before you start the above and after you finish the above. Especially if you made any changes.

I have heard of your running issues before. I need to pick the cobwebs from my OLD dinosaur gray matter and see what comes up. But if you do the the above, be VERY VERY ACCURATE in your work. Look for anything slightly off.
Thanks much again Ed. You've advised on some good homework, lol. I'll plan to give you a call to talk about the distributor anyway to hear what you have in mind. Warranty? It was 30 days. I've already had to do some work on the motor.

Ron,
How's things going?
Ed
Thanks much for asking. This project is on hold for now with other home renovation projects I’m working on and winter weather. Well, I have a heated 3-car garage; but loaded tight with three vehicles, mower, blower, and way too much crap I should toss. Been planning on adding another garage as my plow truck sits outside. Hopefully once the weather is decent can tackle this.

C'mon Ron get your *** in gear! Haha - I know how long things can take, it took me about 3 weekends just to put a new cam in from start to finish.

Some guys seem able to do work in an unbelievable short space of time - just those 6 steps that Ed has highlighted above is a fairly major operation for me. Pulling the timing cover - well you have to remove the radiator first to get some working space...all these steps take time if you are doing it neatly and aren't on a mechanic's clock. Cleaning old gaskets and putting the damn thing back on again is another story.

I've read on here before of guys boasting that it only takes an hour to pull the engine. Hmmm. I'm in the middle of removing mine for the stroker re-build and after about 4 hours I've only removed the radiator, fan, alternator, power steering pump, battery, and 1 exhaust head pipe nut (3 to go). I spent at least a half hour finding some plugs for the transmission cooler lines to stop the oil dripping out. I'm obviously taking my time, listening to the radio, having a cup of tea here and there but it's a good job it's a hobby and not a living for me or I'd go broke.

C'mon Ron get your *** in gear! Haha - I know how long things can take, it took me about 3 weekends just to put a new cam in from start to finish.

Some guys seem able to do work in an unbelievable short space of time - just those 6 steps that Ed has highlighted above is a fairly major operation for me. Pulling the timing cover - well you have to remove the radiator first to get some working space...all these steps take time if you are doing it neatly and aren't on a mechanic's clock. Cleaning old gaskets and putting the damn thing back on again is another story.

I've read on here before of guys boasting that it only takes an hour to pull the engine. Hmmm. I'm in the middle of removing mine for the stroker re-build and after about 4 hours I've only removed the radiator, fan, alternator, power steering pump, battery, and 1 exhaust head pipe nut (3 to go). I spent at least a half hour finding some plugs for the transmission cooler lines to stop the oil dripping out. I'm obviously taking my time, listening to the radio, having a cup of tea here and there but it's a good job it's a hobby and not a living for me or I'd go broke.
Lol, I have a good buddy from HS, we’ve helped each other on numerous projects car resto’s and all sorts of other stuff. But, we can be like oil & water working together. He likes to do stuff sometimes as if he’s being paid on piecework and I’m the opposite. I’m guilty of being too **** sometimes when it’s not necessary. If I need to have 4 screws or bolts and I only have three with one that’s a miss-match it bugs me to use one that’s not the same even though it will ‘work’. Last summer he and I had one of our worst ‘disagreements’ where I told him off royally and ten minutes later it’s like it never happened.

Ron H.
Nothing wrong with being ****. As long as its spelled correctly otherwise you get a very different word. :rofl:I have been accused of being more **** then a airline/jet fighter pilot whose car I was working on. Now that's bad, or as I say good!

Ron H.
Nothing wrong with being ****. As long as its spelled correctly otherwise you get a very different word. :rofl:I have been accused of being more **** then a airline/jet fighter pilot whose car I was working on. Now that's bad, or as I say good!
Lol, yeah kind of a risky word. I could imagine coming up to a gal at a bar introducing myself as an **** guy...the response could be quite negative or possibly positive...nothing in btw..

Auto Transport Service
Back