• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting revelation about Carter float level and carb cleaning

Dragon Slayer

Local time
6:32 AM
Reaction score
Picked up a Carter maxwedge carb that I disassembled for cleaning. Used ultrasonic cleaner with mild dishwasher and a little simple green. After it was dried out and sat, an interesting aluminum/Zinc leaching pattern developed.

First it does show how gasoline can attack the aluminum coating overtime; and allow it to leach out the zinc I presume.

Second it clearly showed the float level disparity between throttle side and choke side. Choke side is really low and would have been way lean on this carburetor.

20220829_122329_HDR.jpg

20220829_122338_HDR.jpg

Common problem with these carbs.
Are levels high?
Low?
Don't know,, "should" be good? I set it right I think?

Holleys eliminate all of those issues.

But the carter's do have a special place on restorations.

Was any of that etching pattern noticeable before the ultra-sonic cleaning?

Are levels high?
Low?

Well I would just say it's pretty easy to set the float height and float drop on a Carter.
It's also fairly easy to take the top off while it's in the car and see how what the fuel levels are inside.
Then there is no guesswork.

Are levels high?
Low?

I’ll take the reliable Carter any day of the week.

Although 6 packs are great when they are working right, but then the are not when leaking, flooding, puking, etc.

got to get them dialed in they they are good also.

Nobody knows what kind of fuel sat it there and for how long. Max wedgo so could be anything
like race gas, octane booster or lead additives. Interesting photos.

I was merely speaking the ease of checking and adjusting holley floats.

Not that carter's can't be adjusted.

Not as obvious. You can typically see residue, but don't associate it with long term level. This stands out like using a dye.

I can’t imagine ever pulling a Carter or Edelbrock apart and not flipping the lid over to check the float level setting. No doubt way back when, there were a lot of owners who were clueless over what it took to keep their car performing well.

Was the carb body discoloured before cleaning? I have had lots of Carter alum carbs that have had a white residue on them. Wipe off with a damp rag, leave for a few days....& it comes back!
I also tried cleaning the carbs with various cleaners. The white stuff always comes back....

The float level disparity. Who knows? Maybe deliberately set that way for tuning purposes, not set properly, carb got bumped etc.

What you can see from the pics is the great quality of the Carter casting & finish. A good score!

I can’t imagine ever pulling a Carter or Edelbrock apart and not flipping the lid over to check the float level setting. No doubt way back when, there were a lot of owners who were clueless over what it took to keep their car performing well.
I document a lot of stuff during a rebuild, but I don't check the float setting, though I keep all the parts side specific. I set the floats during rebuild. It is obvious during the rebuild when something is off. Does make sense to check it though.

Was the carb body discoloured before cleaning? I have had lots of Carter alum carbs that have had a white residue on them. Wipe off with a damp rag, leave for a few days....& it comes back!
I also tried cleaning the carbs with various cleaners. The white stuff always comes back....

The float level disparity. Who knows? Maybe deliberately set that way for tuning purposes, not set properly, carb got bumped etc.

What you can see from the pics is the great quality of the Carter casting & finish. A good score!
Not really just dirty. Moisture brings out the corrosion. I use a chrome mate conversion after cleaning and proper drying after media blasting. Just depends on whether it is a restoration or a rebuild. I have had carbs come out of the ultra sonic that look good enough for a street car. For a restoration oven drying after the conversion.

4140.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back