• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior bare metal paint color?

musekmkr

Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
Was the interior bare metal painted the same color as the body from the factory? I'm not speaking of the areas that are visible like the upper door frame (mine is Alpine White in that case). I am referring to the floor pan for instance. I am treating some of the rust and will probably re seam seal and paint before adding fresh carpet and I noticed the paint is not the same as the exterior body color. The body color is Citron Mist but the interior looks more like a matte champagne (possibly metallic even). I'm not trying to create a perfect match. I am more curious than anything else.

PXL_20220629_155840811.jpg

PXL_20220629_155730980.jpg

Body-color overspray over the anti-corrosion dip.
Hmm...I feel I like I may have read that in another thread. So pretty much the paint that lands in there while they're painting the body? It seems like the coverage is better than just overspray and the texture doesn't seem as rough as I would expect either. I'm guessing most people don't care to replicate this and just spray it completely with body color, including the clear maybe? Thanks for the response.

No it’s not the paint that lands in there, they actually spray all of the floors and most the interior.

the interior can be another color as they sometimes use up what’s in the gun, but it’s rare.

Look at unrestored cars as to what got paint and not. I can post photos later of an original interior painting.

Look at the photos of the cars being built, painted, & assembled, and/or take a few original cars apart, and you can see how it was done. Restoration painting differs; some shoot the interior floor in a variety of methods and some don't. Usually in a restoration every opening is masked when spraying the exterior. Main thing for interior floor is to prevent any moisture it might see from attacking the metal.

No it’s not the paint that lands in there, they actually spray all of the floors and most the interior.

the interior can be another color as they sometimes use up what’s in the gun, but it’s rare.

Look at unrestored cars as to what got paint and not. I can post photos later of an original interior painting.
As far as I know, this interior is original but seeing some other examples would be cool. Spraying whatever they have on hand makes sense. And thanks for clearing up the overspray bit. Based on what I was thinking, that didn't seem to be the case.

Usually in a restoration every opening is masked when spraying the exterior. Main thing for interior floor is to prevent any moisture it might see from attacking the metal.
Yes, I have noticed that. And absolutely. That is ultimately the main objective.

Auto Transport Service
Back