• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intermediate oil shaft (brass)?

OldToys

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
It’s not been a good weekend, after running at high RPM I lost oil pressure completely. Pulled the oil pan to find a lot of non magnetic particles. Pulled the distributor to find the oil shaft gear chewed up, is appears to be brass. I can’t even find a non steel intermediate oil shaft makes no since why it’s installed. I also appears my oil slinger
Is installed backwards. So now what? I can replace the oil pump, oil shaft, pull the timing chain cover and replace the slinger. Or pull the motor and rebuild it, I don’t have a history on the engine but from what I’m seeing it wasn’t built right.

It should only have a bronze gear if its a solid roller cam - otherwise it takes a steel gear. I suspect the debris is everywhere in that moto now.

Agree with Stanton, only reason for a bronze gear is a billet steel roller cam. It is a sacrificial item , that has to be checked often. A stock iron gear will not work with a steel cam. Use a stock iron gear with a iron camshaft.

What about Mellonized steel gear, will that work?

With a NEW cam that's the way to go. It' NOT recommended for even a cam that was merely broken in on the engine dyno.
Mike
So your saying that once a roller cam is run with a bronze gear you stay with bronze gears.

Im not sure of the cam if it is a solid roller, is that the same as a solid lifter cam?

There are basically four types of camshaft in an overhead valve motor, (ignoring overhead cam engines). Hydraulic flat tappet, solid flat tappet, hydraulic roller, and solid roller. Flat tappets of both types have a face on the bottom that contacts the cam, the rollers, of both styles , have a roller at the bottom of the lifter. If you have a solid, of either type, you have to maintain a certain space (lash) in the valvetrain, which has a typical tick tick tick sound. If you dont adjust lash, or hear tick tick tick, you have a hydraulic cam.
There are two kinds of cam core materials, cast iron and billet steel. Cast will show a roughness between cam lobes , billet will be smooth, due to machining process. Billet is almost exclusively used for expensive, very agressive race style solid rollers. If you had a billet solid roller, you would KNOW it. Thats why the bronze gear is a surprise.

So your saying that once a roller cam is run with a bronze gear you stay with bronze gears.
Mancini's told me what I posted so I assume it is correct. It may have something to do with the cam manufacturers coating?
Yeh, I wasn't thrilled with another maintenance item to pay attention to.
Mike

The reason for the bronze gear is, as has been said, billet roller cams were very expensive, so wear out the bronze gear not the expensive steel billet cam. I use the bronze gear even with a cast flat tappet cam. The bronze gears last a long time for me. Just check it occasionally. I had one bronze gear oil pump/distributor drive that the slot for the distributor got very worn, the bronze gear was fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back