• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intermittent stall/crank no start.

Here’s an item to check (Forgot I had this as a random shut off issue last year)
Check the 8 wire harness connection under the dash where the wires come out of the steering column (by your right knee)
Mine is a white connector. Pull apart inspect for any discoloring in the holes, loose wires etc, disconnect battery, spray clean with electrical contact cleaner, re-assemble.
I figured this out by wiggling it with car running and it shut off.
I cleaned and zip tied together tight.
Hope this helps

I have a similar issue. Havent tried starting in about 6 months. It cranks and cranks, but no fire. Tried starter fluid...nothing, so I figure it has to be electrical. I have a 72 with a stock type system including the orange box and ballast but also a flamethrower coil.
How do I test the coil?
Pull the coil wire off the distributor and point it too a ground if it is orange get a new one. LOL. NO fire the same thing.

Well dammit....I just saw this thread down in the "similar threads" box and upon reading back through it realized I never followed up on the fix.
It was faulty contacts in the OEM ignition switch.
Replaced it with a new one, haven't had the problem since (about 2+ years now).
I always try to give a final update but better late than never I guess!:rolleyes:

Auto Transport Service
Back