• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anybody running an electric water pump on their BB?

64sleeper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:38 PM
Reaction score
I figured I'd try here first... Now that things are moving along with the motor (400/512), I'm starting to get ideas on the cooling system. It's going to be street/strip 64 polara, pump gas 9.5-10:1, block half filled, and trick flow 240s. I want to run an electric fan/water pump. I'm looking for suggestions on which radiator, water pump, and fan I should go with? Is the 22 inch style for our cars enough, or should I go with a later 26 inch style and make my own mounts? I want zero cooling issues at anytime!! Any pics and info is much appreciated.

I run a Meziere electric water pump on the street that bolts in style housings and had a custom 26" custom radiator with shroud and dual electronic fans. You will definitely want a 26".

IMG9505711.jpg 20160414_201144.jpg 20161124_181736.jpg 20161201_200820.jpg

Meziere here also with 1.5" tube Wizard 26" and brush-less spal fans!
This is the thinnest package with electric fans you can get. A bit pricey though at $1600 bucks or so. My car never runs over 167 degrees ever...

1640-102BL__46849.1506517021.jpg

IMG_4131.JPG IMG_4201.JPG IMG_4198.JPG

when i ran an electric meziere a few years ago, it would not keep it cool. no matter what i did the temp would always creep up. when i took the electric unit out, and put the high flow moroso belt drive unit back in, that stopped the heating problem, all street driven.

Sorry I meant to ask 6pkrtse. That is badass 2quick!! Where did you get the ribbed belt pulleys for the alternator and crank, and which alternator brackets are you using?!?

when i ran an electric meziere a few years ago, it would not keep it cool. no matter what i did the temp would always creep up. when i took the electric unit out, and put the high flow moroso belt drive unit back in, that stopped the heating problem, all street driven.
Would it creep up while cruising, or stop and go?

Sorry I meant to ask 6pkrtse. That is badass 2quick!! Where did you get the ribbed belt pulleys for the alternator and crank, and which alternator brackets are you using?!?
The crank pulley cam from March Performance the power steering pump came from KRC it's an aluminum Chevy type II road race pump, and the brackets were a combination of Moroso, KRC, and the water pump brackets were custom made by me that I had anodized black.

Meziere here also with 1.5" tube Wizard 26" and brush-less spal fans!
This is the thinnest package with electric fans you can get. A bit pricey though at $1600 bucks or so. My car never runs over 167 degrees ever...
nice set up,,what thermostat r u using that does not let it get over 167 ever? seems like if 1 wants the flow out of an electric water pump, 1 has to buy the 1 with its own housing?

nice set up,,what thermostat r u using that does not let it get over 167 ever? seems like if 1 wants the flow out of an electric water pump, 1 has to buy the 1 with its own housing?
160 and I swear It doesn't matter what the temp is outside or if it's idling in traffic the only time it ever gets to 180 is if I'm really hammering on it for awhile, then within 30 secs it's right back to 170.

One thing I will add is the housing is a Meziere 55gpm version, the pump that came with that housing was to long to clear the radiator, so I sent it back to Meziere and they switched it over to a 35gpm pump but still used the 55gpm housing, so it's actually a hybrid that Meziere claims should flow about 45gpm. But seriously, it works and my motor is 11.5:1 so it should run hot. Coolant temp is just something I don't worry about. Those brush-less fan are serious. For the most part they come on and off at a fairly tame speed, but when needed they really start to sing, it'll blow dirt/gravel from under the car.

160 and I swear It doesn't matter what the temp is outside or if it's idling in traffic the only time it ever gets to 180 is if I'm really hammering on it for awhile, then within 30 secs it's right back to 170.

One thing I will add is the housing is a Meziere 55gpm version, the pump that came with that housing was to long to clear the radiator, so I sent it back to Meziere and they switched it over to a 35gpm pump but still used the 55gpm housing, so it's actually a hybrid that Meziere claims should flow about 45gpm. But seriously, it works and my motor is 11.5:1 so it should run hot. Coolant temp is just something I don't worry about. Those brush-less fan are serious. For the most part they come on and off at a fairly tame speed, but when needed they really start to sing, it'll blow dirt/gravel from under the car.
we do have to get creative with these cars dont we! thats what i figured on the meziere housing, they advertize 55gpm only in there housing, 42-45 on anything else, and if u r putting out over 600 hp, then they say up front u have to have the 55 unit,,i may wait until i put my new motor in at end of year, i'm running a motor plate, so it becomes a much bigger job than just changing the water manifold,,thanks. nice set up.

I also use EVANS water-less coolant.
good tip,,it looks like they have 2 differant pumps, 1 for a drop in to stock style pump housings with a contoured blades pump wheel 40gpm, and 1 for there housing that is a paddle wheel straight blades 55gpm , just like the moroso high flow mech i have now. the 2 wont interchange because of mounting holes,, if 1 wants the good 1, u have to buy there manifold also. only want to do this once $$$, so i'm going to go with door #2. no thermostat.

The one negative thing about the Meziere housing is there are not additional provisions for mounting bracket for accessory drive. I got mine to work but have to be creative and fabricate my own brackets. If your using a motor plate it's not as big of a deal cause you can just use that to mount stuff but in my case I still using rubber mounts and a custom torque strap.

The one negative thing about the Meziere housing is there are not additional provisions for mounting bracket for accessory drive. I got mine to work but have to be creative and fabricate my own brackets. If your using a motor plate it's not as big of a deal cause you can just use that to mount stuff but in my case I still using rubber mounts and a custom torque strap.
no worrys there, the only accessory bolted to the housing is a brace for the low mount alternator, the question is wheter i can pop the housing off the plate, without disturbing the seal against the block....
006.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG

I would unbolt the motor plate from the frame and jack up the engine just until you see the plate take some pressure of the frame rails, this way the engine wont want to slide down the plate. hopefully the RTV will hold the plate on the block for a bit with minimum weight on it.

My Meziere 55 gpm bolted in the stock water pump housing. All of my accessories are mounted to my front plate.

20160414_201144.jpg IMG9505711.jpg

no worrys there, the only accessory bolted to the housing is a brace for the low mount alternator, the question is wheter i can pop the housing off the plate, without disturbing the seal against the block....View attachment 926922 View attachment 926924
When i put a motor plate in mine, i made some studs to replace the water pump housing bolts. That way even with the pump housing off, the motor and plate stay together. I made my studs because i had access to a lathe and the raw stock neccessary, but i'm sure a little research at arp can find what you would want.

Auto Transport Service
Back