• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my P-code a big block?

dillon14

Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1973 Road Runner P-code 400ci 4bbl carb with automatic. I called it a 400 big block and a person got all over me. He said other than the 440ci, 1972 1/2 was the last year for big blocks. He said my 1973 400ci engine was considered a small block. Is he right?
Al in Maine

IMG_2167.JPG IMG_2168.JPG IMG_2169.JPG

your friend must be a nancy boy. 361,383,400 are -B- engines, low deck height. 413,426,440 are RB engines, high deck. Both are big blocks. Get your self a factory service manual to hit nancy boys in the lips. Nice car Al. good luck.

Yea this clown has got to be a chevy guy. Raise the hood and let him look at the back
of the intake and ask him if he sees a distributor right as you slam the hood on his head.

your friend must be a nancy boy. 361,383,400 are -B- engines, low deck height. 413,426,440 are RB engines, high deck. Both are big blocks. Get your self a factory service manual to hit nancy boys in the lips. Nice car Al. good luck.
The first 383 was introduced in 1959, but as the raised block. The dimensions on this engine were a bore of 4.030 and a stroke of 3.750 inches The 350 cubic inch engine was introduced in 1958,

Chevy guys don't understand things like that.

...or that a Coronet 500 can have a 383 and a Coronet 440 can have a 318.

I doubt they even know a buick/olds/pontiac 350 is a big block

I would tell him it is a bigger block because it is bigger than a littler block.(Chevy guys understand baby talk).HAHA

IIRC its the biggest block Ma Mopar ever made!
At least the bore size is anyway. Thats what makes them favorites of the stroker crowd.

You're dealing with a Chevy guy. Chevy 400s are small blocks. Mopar 400s are big blocks.

Chrysler big blocks were produced up to and including 1978 and even some early 1979 model cars and trucks showed up with them from the factory. Even though the 'performance' car died years earlier doesn't mean that the big engines were discontinued at that time but the 440 was a pretty rare sight towards the end.....

I also remember a lot of RV's were equipped with 440s all through the 70s

Auto Transport Service
Back