• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this 68 440 QQ1?

I recently learned this about the '68 color codes, the 1st letter - Q is the body color, the 2nd letter - Q is the roof color and the 3rd which is a digit - 1 means it is all 1 color. Of course this is on the steel, if there is a vinyl top that is not part of this number. A 2 tone car could be QW2, Blue/White 2 tone. I read this while trying to track down the QQ1 paint and found out that in '68 the code for the color is just the single letter Q and some paint cchip sheets will show that. Some will show QQ1. BMosley's spray out is acturate, Q & B5 & B7 are all different. Seems some paints the difference is not as big as this example and I've been to shows where you can't hardly tell, but if the 2 are parked side by side it is real easy to see.

DC

I'm getting ready to shoot 67 "881" bright blue.......probably the precursor to B5 and such

Probably so, I've read Q is '68 only but I can't prove that but I do know it was the last year for it. Post pics when you're done.

the 1st letter - Q is the body color, the 2nd letter - Q is the roof color and the 3rd which is a digit - 1 means it is all 1

You state that the first letter is the body color and second letter is the roof color, and that sounds logical to me. BUT, my 68 GTX fender tag paint code is WU2, but my car is Frost Blue body with a white roof. Wonder if the fender tag stamper goofed or was it the painter.

Last edited:
Well, as I said I have read that is what the code represents. I didn't have any reason to disagree with it because it worked for my car but I see your point. Maybe it is Roof 1st and then body and that may well be the case. One thing is for sure, it is Blue and White and 2 tone.

Here is a page that has the single letter codes and their matching paint codes in various brands of paint.

1968 Color Codes - Plymouth Paint Cross-Reference

Looks like yours is Sable White and Frost Blue. And I the way I understand it since the top an bottom are not the same color it is a 2. Had it been WW it would have been a 1.

LOL, and all this depends on what I read on the internet so don't hold me to close to it but it seems to apply for the most part to your car and mine.

1968 QQ1.
IMG_5521.jpeg

That's nice. I'll be happy when I get my car to that point.

LOL, I'm now 65 and I had a QQ1 '68 RoadRunner when I was in high school and up untill I read about the color numbers recently I had always thought the entire number was the code for the Blue alone.
Never stop learning.

Auto Transport Service
Back