• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this intake manifold worth restoring?

toearley

Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
Just removed intake from 1971 440. Have new carb I'm installing and want to know if this is worth cleaning/restoring. Outside is rough, but I can work with it, inside looks very rough. ANY thoughts would be helpful. Also want to clean inside and out. What can I soak this in to reduce crap inside? Denatured alcohol? Carb cleaner? Also what is the opening for/do that has the destroyed gasket? I'm a novice at this stuff, so please type slowly.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 428
Just removed intake from 1971 440. Have new carb I'm installing and want to know if this is worth cleaning/restoring. Outside is rough, but I can work with it, inside looks very rough. ANY thoughts would be helpful. Also want to clean inside and out. What can I soak this in to reduce crap inside? Denatured alcohol? Carb cleaner? Also what is the opening for/do that has the destroyed gasket? I'm a novice at this stuff, so please type slowly.
Thanks.

what is your goal for the car? are you trying to keep it factory? I have tossed more of those boat anchors than I can count for aftermarket lighter , better flowing intakes. if you are trying to save it, have it hot tanked or blasted and repaint it.

Not trying to keep factory. I'm bolting on a new Edelbrock 750 and can't stand the looks of this. I've done some research Edelbrock Victor 440 and Mopar M1. I have to watch my height because I have the Air Grabber hood. With your experience, do you have a preferences? What is Hot tanked?

Not trying to keep factory. I'm bolting on a new Edelbrock 750 and can't stand the looks of this. I've done some research Edelbrock Victor 440 and Mopar M1. I have to watch my height because I have the Air Grabber hood. With your experience, do you have a preferences? What is Hot tanked?

hot tanking is a chemical cleaning process. any engine building spot will do it for you, and its not that pricy. here are a couple good factory replacement intakes. obviously there are more choices but like you said, you have to watch the height.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDELBROCK-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d91b7b43&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/weiand-inta...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a4db91396&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-2...old-/361006039055?hash=item540da3000f&vxp=mtr

what is your goal for the car? are you trying to keep it factory? I have tossed more of those boat anchors than I can count for aftermarket lighter , better flowing intakes. if you are trying to save it, have it hot tanked or blasted and repaint it.
Where the gasket is destroyed is where the choke sets. I used an offenhouser 360 degree on my 440hp with the same carb you have and it runs like a scalded dog. Also sits very low like factory.

Where the gasket is destroyed is where the choke sets. I used an offenhouser 360 degree on my 440hp with the same carb you have and it runs like a scalded dog. Also sits very low like factory.

So if this gasket is like this would that account for me having problems with idle, low RPM dying?

Chuck it in the scrap pile and just order a new one or grad a nice used one in the for sale section, you'll be very happy with a new one

Ok, I've made the mistake of taking off the manifold and not documenting all parts/placements. I've also removed the carb. Had the manifold cleaned and painted. Now I need to put things back together. Does anyone have a photo of a 71, 440, 4bbl, old iron manifold and how the throttle bracket, springs and this other bracket attach (see picture). I've spent a lot of time looking through forum photos and Google image search, but can't find anything that looks like my set up. I think the throttle bracket mounts on the 2 bolts closest to the firewall? But I cant remember where the smaller bracket mounts and how the springs work in. I know the rusty throttle cable (in the picture) mounts up to the bracket, but I'm lost on the rest. Thanks again for helping this rookie out.
IMG_0237.jpgIMG_0240.jpg

Your bracket that holds the cable mounts by running the last two intake manifold bolts through it and into the intake. The return spring bracket, the small one, mounts using the front intake manifold bolt.

index.php

Auto Transport Service
Back