• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s been awhile… is this normal?

pjoll84

Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The last carbed vehicles I drove were SU carved minis and MG’s so forgive my elementary understanding.

I’ve picked up a 72 Fargo B200 motorhome that idles like a singer sewing machine. It’s glorious. It also drives pretty well!

318 with a 2brl carter
My question is this… every so often, I’ve got to feather the accelerator to get it to move. So if it were idling and I press on the accelerator to move… some times it bogs down and wants to stall (almost always in reverse but not so much forward) but if I blip the throttle a bit, it evens out and all is well.

Is this a classic accelerator pump?

Most likely. Very high up on the flow chart.

Common problem. They dry out and don't seal. Weak squirt apon acceleration and that causes the stumble.

it may swell up after fuel is in the bowl for a bit....... my edelbrocks used to dry up; but always came back

I don't know about the 2bbls but with the edelbrock carbs they used a blue seal and ethanol gas would eat them up. There's a red/orange one that is ethanol resistant and works great.

Auto Transport Service
Back