• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its a Monday

Roger63

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
I went to the machine shop this morning to drop off my new to me crank for polishing. I'm glad you're is what my machinist says, he then proceeds to show me this
20221212_085855.jpg

As he started honing a piece popped out of the cylinder

20221212_085850.jpg

Be glad it happened at this stage of the process.
So this is a great day!

but yes that sucks, plan B

One of the many imperfections in our blocks. It just happened to be very close to the machined surface. Little cast iron Gremlin.

Last edited:
I had more than a dozen 440 blocks, raced four of them, at least a couple thousand runs, and 6 400, blocks raced two of them over a thousand runs. Never seen anything like that. Maybe I'm lucky. Mopar blocks are known to be harder than bowtie's. Don't know about Fords. I guess the foundry's can have a few bad pieces.

I had more than a dozen 440 blocks, raced four of them, at least a couple thousand runs, and 6 400, blocks raced two of them over a thousand runs. Never seen anything like that. Maybe I'm lucky. Mopar blocks are known to be harder than bowtie's. Don't know about Fords. I guess the foundry's can have a few bad pieces.
Well that's been my luck with this motor, mis matched heads wrong flex plate etc.etc. :)

If you do it right no problem with mis matched heads. I ran a 906 on side & 915 on the other. Both home ported the same. Used the different head gaskets to get equal CR. Worked well enough to get me through the rest of the season. No real loss in performance or any engine damage. Wrong flex plate can sure give bad results.

Auto Transport Service
Back