• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's a Mopar .... nearly.....

I always thought it would be nice to have an Intercepter. Just like the black one, 440 manual, left hand drive. Drove very well. Think we had it about 4 hours. This would be about 1995. Nice interior .
It was a weekend, but our good friend who owned a body shop said bring it to the shop. He would do a few restorations on the side.
Little exterior rust showing.On the hoist completely different story, he pointed out the rust on the inner floor and other panels.
He said it could be done, he would not touch that car for anyone. Price was good enough to buy as a daily driver until it fell apart. I couldn’t do that.
Also the reports I read, stated the 383 handled much better. At the time my brother had a 52 XK120 roadster and a 60 XK 150 drop head coupe. Don’t know what stockNorth American car at time that would keep in road competition.

Yes, a 1973. No louvers in the hood. The white car attached.
I usually see the louvered hoods on 1974+
A few months ago, I was moving the Jensen out of the garage, and the left side front brake hose blew out, so even more leaks and things to fix on the car.

I don't know a ton about the Jensen story, read a few books on them, and was a member of the Jensen Owners Club, but I let that lapse. Lot of info on JOC
Home - Jensen Owners' Club

I ran across this youTube video about Jensen, and it covers some of the history to give context to how the Interceptor came about.

View attachment 1631044

Interesting history, thanks for the video :thumbsup:

Possibly a Jensen C-V8 from between 1962-66 ??? The owner called it an Interceptor - but that puts the car at 1950-56

My buddy Cliff had this car roll into his shop late last week for some minor work. I think this is an import from quite some time back, and the owner is getting it ready for inspection to register for on-road use here. Talk about leaving it late - all the rules have changed again recently, and bringing in cars to NZ is not as easy as it was 20 years ago.

Anyway, the frost plugs need to be replaced as whoever tried it last time didn't install them correctly.

Also looking for confirmation of what the car actually is....the engine size - we think 383, but it could be a 361. Also uncertain of the year. The owner appears to be a bit foggy as to what he has also. Cliff is going to get the block casting numbers for me and hopefully a tag number.
Since this car has never been registered here in NZ my usual channels of inquiry are useless.

Apologies in advance to @Kern Dog ..... you know why.

Maybe @33 IMP has some insight on the car?

Thanks.

00e855c3-fdd8-46d9-94ca-0bf3d3f24a93_text.gif

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't believe the factory used exhaust manifold gaskets... You could always have the manifold resurfaced to get it flat again.

One thing I didn't expect about the Jensen is that there is a good amount of replacement / reproduction parts for them.
Just some parts are pricey and might need to be shipped from the UK

One thing I didn't expect about the Jensen is that there is a good amount of replacement / reproduction parts for them.
Just some parts are pricey and might need to be shipped from the UK
You can get nearly everything you need to repair a Jensen....no matter the age.

I'm semi-familiar with the interceptor. What I don't know, is,what rearend was used. Is it some sort of european independent rear, or is it a good old Mopar rear?

I think the axle is a tapered axle dana 44.
Lot of unusual parts/options for a car built in the 1960s to 1976
Rack & pinion steering, 4 wheel disc brakes, power everything; windows, door locks, gas filler door, antenna...

I put a bid on the car. I think it has a reserve?
It needs some work, but looks like you could still drive it around and have some fun.
I would hate to see someone buy it just to part it out. Prior bid was only $5,000.

I think the axle is a tapered axle dana 44.
Lot of unusual parts/options for a car built in the 1960s to 1976
Rack & pinion steering, 4 wheel disc brakes, power everything; windows, door locks, gas filler door, antenna...

I put a bid on the car. I think it has a reserve?
It needs some work, but looks like you could still drive it around and have some fun.
I would hate to see someone buy it just to part it out. Prior bid was only $5,000.
I think Jensen tried their hand at styling on a European touring car platform but got all hung up when they plopped the 440 into the front end.

From there I can only assume they were locked into a certain formula.

Good luck with your bid. :thumbsup:

I think Jensen tried their hand at styling on a European touring car platform but got all hung up when they plopped the 440 into the front end.

From there I can only assume they were locked into a certain formula.

Good luck with your bid. :thumbsup:

I'm no expert on the history, but from my reading this is what I recall. I looked up the production numbers.
I don't recall the original car pricing, but they were expensive. Read that they were more expensive than the Aston Martian of the time?

Jensen was a coach builder starting in the 1930's and did custom bodies on different car platforms. They also built car bodies for other companies.
I think in the early 1960 the Jensen brothers lost control of the company to other management, and they wanted an Italian designed car body that fit the CV-8 frame.
The 1960's Interceptor (not the 1950's version) was the first Jensen designed in Italy by Carrozzeria Touring. Some of the 1960's cars they designed/built include the Aston Martian DB4, DB5, DB6, and Logonda. Also the Lamborghini 350 and 400.
I think there was some shakeup where Jensen had the cars originally built by Vignale in their Italy factory, and not by Carrozzeria?
Jensen was not happy with the build quality, and moved production back to England.
The 1973-76? Mark III with the 440 engine was the best selling car, and 3,432 were built (I think over a 3 year period?)

I'm no expert on the history, but from my reading this is what I recall. I looked up the production numbers.
I don't recall the original car pricing, but they were expensive. Read that they were more expensive than the Aston Martian of the time?

Jensen was a coach builder starting in the 1930's and did custom bodies on different car platforms. They also built car bodies for other companies.
I think in the early 1960 the Jensen brothers lost control of the company to other management, and they wanted an Italian designed car body that fit the CV-8 frame.
The 1960's Interceptor (not the 1950's version) was the first Jensen designed in Italy by Carrozzeria Touring. Some of the 1960's cars they designed/built include the Aston Martian DB4, DB5, DB6, and Logonda. Also the Lamborghini 350 and 400.
I think there was some shakeup where Jensen had the cars originally built by Vignale in their Italy factory, and not by Carrozzeria?
Jensen was not happy with the build quality, and moved production back to England.
The 1973-76? Mark III with the 440 engine was the best selling car, and 3,432 were built (I think over a 3 year period?)
All good information. I have heard similar about the chequered history on the production of the Interceptor.

I only wish I had a picture of my late friend Roger's model....it was a beauty. Sadly after he died the family squabbled (as they usually do) and the car was sold off quickly. It was almost like Roger's body was still warm when it was sold. It was a bad scene from what I heard.

Roger (my namesake) was the one who inspired me to finish my Road Runner - he arranged a painter to do the hood stripes, as I hadn't the courage to attempt it myself. We got the air grabber all painted up nice, and he was always encouraging. I took him and another friend 'Pinky' ('cause he had red hair) and a couple of young ladies down the line to Hamilton one night to play on the indoor Skid Car track. It was awesome cruising that RR down the motorway at speeds unobtainable now due to the National Photographic Society being so prolific. Good times.

Auto Transport Service
Back