• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been 30 years since we lost Stevie Ray Vaughan

This is a nice one of SRV playing a 12 string acoustic guitar. I remember seeing this clip years ago and being blown away.

Fantastic musician, his talent and passion really comes through in his music. He has a prominent place on my Ipod.

I saw Stevie Ray and the Fabulous Thunderbirds on a whim when some friends stopped by and told me they were heading to the Ionia Free Fair in Ionia Michigan.
Two of the highlights were when he played Little Wing and for the encore Jimmy and he played a duet on a double neck with a 12 string together on sitting behind one another. In the middle of the song they switch necks very cool.
The version of Little Wing was simply amazing live I think the studio version by Hendrix uses three guitars.
Stevie reproduced it with one. Probably one of the most fun afternoons I've ever enjoyed.
A few years later I move to Ionia, NY.

Saw him with Double Trouble in Seattle, early ‘80s. He was awesome, and sorely missed in the music community.

David Bowie used him on a couple of very success albums. Says he first saw him in Europe while Stevie was touring. He was said to have said “who is this guy!? I’ve got to meet him!” They were in the studio together not long after. Here’s one of my favorites with that pairing; the solo is classic Stevie:

Last edited:
Saw him with Double Trouble in Seattle, early ‘80s. He was awesome, and sorely missed in the music community.

David Bowie used him on a couple of very success albums. Says he first saw him in Europe while Stevie was touring. He was said to have said “who is this guy!? I’ve got to meet him!” They were in the studio together not long after. Here’s one of my favorites with that pairing; The solo is classic Stevie:

Stevie also unmistakably played the intro to Jennifer Warnes cover of Leonard Cohen's "First We Take Manhattan". I wore that "Famous Blue Raincoat" album out. You can see Stevie playing in the video.

Last edited:
First time I heard “Live at the ElMocambo” album I was hooked forever.
RIP SRV

I saw Stevie Ray and the Fabulous Thunderbirds on a whim when some friends stopped by and told me they were heading to the Ionia Free Fair in Ionia Michigan.
I'm sorry to inform you that SRV was never a member of the Fab T-birds, however his brother Jimmy was in the band in it's early days. I never was a fan of SRV and enjoyed listening to Jimmy's music better, I never understood why he doesn't get the notoriety that his brother does? But I like to "tear it up"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fabulous_Thunderbirds

This is a nice one of SRV playing a 12 string acoustic guitar. I remember seeing this clip years ago and being blown away.

I remember it also and yes, my freaking jaw dropped....
This was during the heavy metal years, chock full of guitar heroes and who could play the fastest.
Then Stevie shows up and does this - ON A 12 STRING!
That combination of incredible hand/finger strength, along with raw speed and melodic overtones -
and played not on a trick low-strung speed necked electric, but a full-bodied acoustic - might very well
still be the most impressive demonstration of guitar prowess I've ever witnessed.

Every time I see this I just shake my head! incredible talent for sure

Time flys, but I still remember the moment I heard the news exactly. The most naturally gifted guitarist of all time in my opinion.

wow how time flies, it's been 30 years

SRV & Eric Clapton were my 2 favorites for a time
(So were Dick Dale, Peter Frampton, Ted Nugent, Roy Orbison, Roy Clark, Ronnie James Dio,
Carlos Santana, Eddy Van Halen
)

Texas Flood, always my favorite. SRV a true Texas original.

The amazing thing about his sound from the first note whether live or recorded, you know it's him playing whether it was a cover or his own. His style was so distinctive and unmistakably original.

I was lucky enough to see him just 2 weeks before he died, at an outdoor venue in Michigan. Incredible concert, and as if I wasn’t already a big fan, that cemented him in my mind forever. I still listen to him every day, he was a master of everything he played.

my favorite song done by him, our band plays it often!

I'm sorry to inform you that SRV was never a member of the Fab T-birds, however his brother Jimmy was in the band in it's
I wasn't trying to say that Stevie was in the fabulous Thunderbirds. It was a double feature show both bands played.
Stevie and Jimmy came out for the encore.

AC/DC

Monsters Of Rock

Boston

We saw Motley Crue / Stars and Guitars - Video for S O S one month before seeing SRV

Alpine Valley - Man the memories in that parking lot before the concerts YIKES

Sod fights , before I said I would never sit on that hill again

Incredible memories from that place in the 80s and 90s

I saw him twice, both front row center, first with GnR, the second time he opened for Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop tour - best concert ever.
They played 1 song together at the end.

That sob Beck stole the show. He held his guitar straight up with one hand in the air to the crowd and played it with the same hand.
Terry Bozzio destroyed the drums, I mean beat the heck out of them.

Albums, cds, whatever the form, doesn't do these guys justice. I'll watch live videos on youtube and listen to the same via bluetooth in my car.

Been a fan of SRV since day one - Mary had a little lamb!

Auto Transport Service
Back