• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

jet settings

midnightrider1818

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
i have a 440 with streetfire ignition. 512 lift cam and edelbrock high rise performer intake. motor runs great till around 3800 4 grand then it just dies like it runs out of gas. dont start missing or anything like that it just dies. let outta the throttle and it comes right back to life. i dont have no rev limiter set or anything and just wondering if maybe my main jets are too small in my carb. running a 750 holley.

Are you sure you don't have a fuel delivery problem? Do a volume check.

If you have the factory jet settings in the carb then it should work fine - unless you have dirt floating around and it's restricting a jet. Yep, I had it happen.

Is that at WOT??Have you checked the float levels?What pump are you using?How old is the fuel filter?I"ll stop there for now:edgy:

Had a similar problem with a 383 several years ago, but it didn't run out of gas until 2nd gear at about 4500 rpm at WOT. Problem was the fuel pump. Put a pressure gauge on the carb and could watch the needle fluctuate like mad at an idle (it was a blur) so it basically ran okay at normal speeds, but ran the carb out of gas after several seconds at WOT.

So I'm with the posters above in checking fuel delivery system.

Auto Transport Service
Back