• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Otto HOF center from the original Oakland Raiders AFL/AFC West, dies 86 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budnicks

Jackstand racer #1 & proud of it, Sir Posts A Lot
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
Sad day yesterday...
Rest In Peace, JIM
Jim Otto 1/5/1938 to 5/19/2024, Wisconsin native
& a long time Oakland Raider
& AFL/NFL Hall of Famer #00 Jim Otto 6'3" 255#
longtime, 15 years at center,
he had some 40+ football related surgeries,
his knees were trashed, he still played
played in 210 consecutive games & never missed a game for injury

He died yesterday at 86 years old,
drafted to the Raiders from University of Miami
played in every game in the fledgling AFL 1960-1970 AFL/NFL merger,
he had a great career...

He will be dearly missed, remembered well...

Oakland Raiders Center #00 Jim Otto.jpg

RIP. That poor guy was debilitated by the years of football pounding he took. But also spearheaded changes that are still over due to this day of supporting veterans of seasons past.

R.I.P. to another legend from the golden era of football.

Sad day yesterday...
Rest In Peace, JIM
Jim Otto 1/5/1938 to 5/19/2024, Wisconsin native
& a long time Oakland Raider
& AFL/NFL Hall of Famer #00 Jim Otto 6'3" 255#
longtime, 15 years at center,
he had some 40+ football related surgeries,
his knees were trashed, he still played
played in 210 consecutive games & never missed a game for injury

He died yesterday at 86 years old,
drafted to the Raiders from University of Miami
played in every game in the fledgling AFL 1960-1970 AFL/NFL merger,
he had a great career...

He will be dearly missed, remembered well...

View attachment 1666055
I would never argue Otto’s career, legacy and HOF status. He was an iron man and indeed one of the greatest centers to ever play the game. A legend indeed.

But I will argue as to why a man/player every molecule as great on the other side of the ball has been denied the HOF and similar accolades for 5 decades. Jim Marshall - same era. A beyond incredible DL as part of the vaunted MN Vikings Purple People Eaters D line. Every bit the iron man and statistically off the charts in every category during his legendary 20 year career. Marshall is one of only a small handful of Vikings to have his number retired and is of course in The Vikings Ring of Honor. I challenge anyone to review his bio and argue that he’s not a first ballot induction - but has once again just been denied as I believe a semi or finalist for the older guys. There are plenty of D guys that are in that Hall that couldn’t carry his jock - yet one of the greatest of all time is not. Every other one of his DLine teammates back then is and has been in. WHY not Marshall? And while we’re at it let’s get the “wrong way Marshall” bullshit off the table from the get go. Few remember Jim Marshall caused and recovered a fumble to score or lead to the winning TD in that same game. So stick w/the pertinent facts and tell me WHY NOT Marshall in the HOF? It has burned my *** for decades….

I would never argue Otto’s career, legacy and HOF status. He was an iron man and indeed one of the greatest centers to ever play the game. A legend indeed.

But I will argue as to why a man/player every molecule as great on the other side of the ball has been denied the HOF and similar accolades for 5 decades. Jim Marshall - same era. A beyond incredible DL as part of the vaunted MN Vikings Purple People Eaters D line. Every bit the iron man and statistically off the charts in every category during his legendary 20 year career. Marshall is one of only a small handful of Vikings to have his number retired and is of course in The Vikings Ring of Honor. I challenge anyone to review his bio and argue that he’s not a first ballot induction - but has once again just been denied as I believe a semi or finalist for the older guys. There are plenty of D guys that are in that Hall that couldn’t carry his jock - yet one of the greatest of all time is not. Every other one of his DLine teammates back then is and has been in. WHY not Marshall? And while we’re at it let’s get the “wrong way Marshall” bullshit off the table from the get go. Few remember Jim Marshall caused and recovered a fumble to score or lead to the winning TD in that same game. So stick w/the pertinent facts and tell me WHY NOT Marshall in the HOF? It has burned my *** for decades….
This isn't about Marshall...

I can't tell ya' why he's not in...

Nominees & 1st years guys make no sense to me

maybe his Vikings losing 4 Superbowl's had something to do with it
But;
there's plenty of SB losers in the Hall too, so who knows

he went on to be (IIRC) Minn. Supreme Court Justice,
he definitely had a career or 2
the Vikings did have (more or less) the team to beat in the NFC in 1969-76
great defense, but on the offence, Fran Tarkenton & Chuck Foreman
were 2 of my favorites...
If only not for KC Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburg Steelers & Oakland Raiders

This isn't about Marshall...

I can't tell ya' why he's not in...

Nominees & 1st years guys make no sense to me

maybe his Vikings losing 4 Superbowl's had something to do with it
But;
there's plenty of SB losers in the Hall too, so who knows

he went on to be (IIRC) Minn. Supreme Court Justice,
he definitely had a career or 2
the Vikings did have (more or less) the team to beat in the NFC in 1969-76
great defense, but on the offence, Fran Tarkenton & Chuck Foreman
were 2 of my favorites...
If only not for KC Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburg Steelers & Oakland Raiders
Sorry but it was Alan Page who went on to be a Lawyer, Judge and then Supreme Court Justice on MN. Losing SBs has exactly zero to do with it. HOF is about season accomplishments. And if not for Marshall they just may not have made those 4 SBs. Earlier point has to do w/politics seems to have as much to do with induction as most other things. His career accomplishments make most other DLs look like wet nurses….. amd for that matter OLs too…. The HOF is an NFL house of favorite butt men…… And you obviously never read his bio.

Sick of the blathering about the Raiders of the early 70”s who’ve owned the bottom of the toilet ever since….

Sick of the blathering about the Raiders of the early 70”s who’ve owned the bottom of the toilet ever since….
Oops my bad, I don't care either...
not my team, not my problem

1977 vs Vikings
Oakland Raiders AFL 1977 excepting the Super Bowl Trophy Al Davis & John Madden.jpg

If you don't like it, than start you own thread about the Vikings then
we'll see where that goes

1981 vs Eagles
Oakland Raiders AFL 1981 excepting the Super Bowl Trophy (2).jpg

1984 vs Redskins
Oakland Raiders AFL 1984 Al Davis accepting Super Bowl Trophy # XVIII  Comissioner Pete Rozelle.png

Just win Baby

Al Davis shaking his head yes Just Win Baby.gif

Last edited:
Oops my bad, I don't care either...
not my team, not my problem

1977 vs Vikings
View attachment 1666556

If you don't like it, than start you own thread about the Vikings then
we'll see where that goes

1981 vs Eagles
View attachment 1666557

1984 vs Redskins
View attachment 1666558

Just win Baby

View attachment 1666559
All black & white - pics that can only be found on microfiche …. So what since……? Yeah that’s what I thought…..Not even in this century….

Raiders were my "other" team when I was a kid........ always got a kick out of Otis Sistrunk........ University of Mars :D

1716334469308.png

All black & white - pics that can only be found on microfiche …. So what since……? Yeah that’s what I thought…..Not even in this century….
How many have Vikings ever won ?
black & white or even color or in this century, for that matter ?

0 - zero - zilch - nada - bupkiss

The Raiders at least went to a Superbowl 2002,
in this century
They lost to their former coach (Jon Gruden), his defense had every play down pat
gotta' give it to them Bucc's/John Lynch's led defense, they beat my Raiders...

Rich Gannon was a stud,
so was Tim Brown & Jerry Rice, Lincoln Kenndy, Rod Wodson
Sea Bass/Sebastian Janikowski had a freaken' leg
& also most the defense, a bunch of old dudes/retreads

Last edited:
How many have Vikings ever won ?
black & white or even color or in this century, for that matter ?

0 - zero - zilch - nada - bupkiss

The Raiders at least went to a Superbowl 2002,
in this century
They lost to their former coach (Jon Gruden), his defense had every play down pat
gotta' give it to them Bucc's/John Lynch's led defense, they beat my Raiders...

Rich Gannon was a stud,
so was Tim Brown & Jerry Rice, Lincoln Kenndy, Rod Wodson
Sea Bass/Sebastian Janikowski had a freaken' leg
& also most the defense, a bunch of old dudes/retreads
I can only assume (actually know) you’re referring the Rich Gannon that originally played 5 yrs for the Vikings, then 4 for KC before finally actually doing something w/Oak. Yes I readily admit to no SBs - that’s all you naysayer’s got. Let’s match division titles and NFC/AFC title games in this century - won or lost. If you like we could even go back 20 yrs into the prior century as well. Oakland was a flash in the pan 50 yrs ago ….. So what….

Oakland - eh I mean Los Angeles eh I mean Las Vegas has never even been able to stay in the same location for long before getting embarrassed out of town. And if you want a list of Super Studs - I’d likely jam Joey’s server space with Former Vikings. Be careful what you ask for ….

The Raiders “mystic” is just that ….. Where have they gone for the last umpteen decades…..

Yeh right...
:rofl:

Yet even, the 'mystic' Raiders
still won 3 NFL Super Bowl Championships,
& another AFL Championship in 1967
in both cities of Los Angeles & Oakland,
went to
5 Super Bowls - over them 'umpteenth decades', since 1960
they now have
30 NFL Hall of Famers, owner, players & coaches

Vikings have 22 in NFL HOF, coaches & players, not bad for never winning any championships

Last edited:
RIP 00.

Wow. That is a lot of pretzel logic that I just read. Vikings racked up 4 SB losses, no SB wins, and haven't even been to a SB since 1977 but you somehow think that trumps 3 Lombardi trophies and a more recent (26 years more recent to be exact) SB loss? Well, okay then... :jackoff:

Somebody is still pretty butt-hurt over SB XI...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back