• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jimmy Stewart

That's still a great movie.
While I realize it's just a movie, the sentiment it enshrines, " No man life is worthless as long as he has friends."
has always been true. None of us needs to live in the best house, have the best things, be the biggest man.......we all have the things we need. I know that I do. My cabin isn't the biggest, fanciest or newest but it's snug, and picturesque, lived in and adequate for our needs. We don't own the nicest things, the most land or the newest cars....but, we don't need those things either. Sure, we have had bad breaks along the way, setbacks of one kind or another, some of them real bad, but we have managed, our friends and families have helped us, as we have helped them and that's the way it's supposed to be. Isn't it? It has been a wonderful life, despite everything.

I'd like to know what Bomb Group He flew in, as my Dad was there in a 24 also, same time frame...
I think he was in the 8th. But not sure, per later posts; I think he was a crewmember in that Vietnam flight. Not sure,I could be wrong. Nevertheless, a great American!

While I realize it's just a movie, the sentiment it enshrines, " No man life is worthless as long as he has friends."
has always been true. None of us needs to live in the best house, have the best things, be the biggest man.......we all have the things we need. I know that I do. My cabin isn't the biggest, fanciest or newest but it's snug, and picturesque, lived in and adequate for our needs. We don't own the nicest things, the most land or the newest cars....but, we don't need those things either. Sure, we have had bad breaks along the way, setbacks of one kind or another, some of them real bad, but we have managed, our friends and families have helped us, as we have helped them and that's the way it's supposed to be. Isn't it? It has been a wonderful life, despite everything.

Indeed Chief. Indeed.

He was a great man & a great actor, true Patriot
Shenandoah
The Far Country
Flight of the Phenoix
Winchester 73,
all really good movies
but;
Cheyenne Social Club with Henry Fonda
& Man who shot Liberty Valance with John Wayne
were/was/still are/is a great flicks

Last edited:
I'll just add these to the pile!

977829_378378658933137_107671073_o.jpg

1450759_678483655519068_447423575_n.jpg
10377166_539833652814429_2779823243101562111_n.jpg

10917397_630658167040901_7486539931399306613_n.jpg

10922514_920138328020136_1086088265591139843_n.jpg

10931451_753912328023918_5358448050196943656_n.jpg

That Gen. LeMay he's talking to!
11219630_10153363628202745_8534156777006484084_n.jpg

My favorite out of the bunch!!!
11825200_10207485898056557_7815822252943712512_n.jpg

The dictionary should have a picture of this man next to the definition of "patriot".
I've always been a huge fan of Mr. Stewart, even late in life when he'd appear on Carson.

You guys taught me a lot about Jimmy. Thanks for sharing! I always loved his movies.. He was an American Icon and a Legend.
:usflag:

In the late 60s my mom worked at Travis AFB as the executive secretary to the base commander. She was privy to any vips flying in. One morning she got the vip list and on it was Jimmy Stewart. Not sure of his rank but I seem to remember her referring to him as General Stewart. Apparently he was flying a B52 out to Guam as a replacement aircraft.

Anyway, he flew in and the crew spent the night for crewrest. The next morning the General came into the base commanders off all pissed off. Apparently he was overdue on his flight physical and the base flight surgeon grounded him and another crew member until they came in for their physical. I guess the flight surgeon outranks the General when it comes to safety standards. I guess he was pissed because the situation deployed his departure. Highlight of my moms career was getting to meet Jimmy Stewart.

In the late 60s my mom worked at Travis AFB as the executive secretary to the base commander. She was privy to any vips flying in. One morning she got the vip list and on it was Jimmy Stewart. Not sure of his rank but I seem to remember her referring to him as General Stewart. Apparently he was flying a B52 out to Guam as a replacement aircraft.

Anyway, he flew in and the crew spent the night for crewrest. The next morning the General came into the base commanders off all pissed off. Apparently he was overdue on his flight physical and the base flight surgeon grounded him and another crew member until they came in for their physical. I guess the flight surgeon outranks the General when it comes to safety standards. I guess he was pissed because the situation deployed his departure. Highlight of my moms career was getting to meet Jimmy Stewart.
Yes, the flight surgeon outranks everyone when I comes to crew safety.

Another great guy was General James Van Fleet. Served in WW1, WW2, and Korea. At the time of his retirement from active duty on March 31, 1953, former President Harry S. Truman said "General Van Fleet is the greatest general we have ever had . . . I sent him to Greece and he won the war. I sent him to Korea and he won the war."
220px-James_A._Van_Fleet.jpg

General James Alward Van Fleet (March 19, 1892 – September 23, 1992) was a United States Army officer who saw service during World War I, World War II and the Korean War. Van Fleet was a native of New Jersey, who was raised in Florida and graduated from the United States Military Academy. He served as a regimental, divisional and corps commander during World War II and as the commanding General of United States Army and other United Nations forces during the Korean War.

James Van Fleet - Wikipedia

Jimmy Stewart
he was in the military a lot longer than I knew or remember
I always like him on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson too
seemed like a real guy, his life persona was like his characters
not the a-typical Hollyweirdo fakes

Jimmy Stewart 1st Lt. US Air Corp WWII.jpg

Jimmy Stewart Flysuit Military uniform VietNam or Korea.jpg

Jimmy Stewart Air Corp USAF VietNam Korea 1 star Gen..jpeg

Yep, was a regular dude and not full of himself and his fame. Always gracious and humble.

I just happened to see his today while reading about the death of the Mexican WWII Soldier. I’m so glad I did. I never knew any of the things about Jimmy. I always thought of him as one of Americas lovable silver screen actors that was really a legit dude. Now I think of him as corrected to one of America’s Great War hero’s that was an actor and regular guy too.

When I think of Hollywood (for some time now) most make me want to puke. Hollywood makes me want to puke. But Jimmy Stewart I’ll now always remember as a great patriot, American hero first and foremost. If I remember correctly Ted Williams also left baseball for a 4 year tour during the Big One. Have no idea what he did during service but I hope it was at least a fraction of what General J Stewart did. Those guys make me proud. Where have they all gone…….

I watched The Flight of the Phoenix two nights ago. I always liked Jimmy Stewart!!

Auto Transport Service
Back