• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just wondering if a 4spd Coronet Super Bee Green Station Wagon survived

Qikbbstang

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
Just curious, I'm a Ford guy, I grew up in Southampton NY and worked downtown summer jobs at the Ford-Linc Merc dealership 69-71. Frequently I saw around the small town a bright light green I think it may be called "Coronet green" Mopar wagon w/ twin scoops, 4spd pistol-grip HURST black interior and silver - w/holes factory wheels around town. I admired the factory wagon, of course it was back-in-the-day a new car that someone obviously "special ordered". Not years later when it could have been slapped together. Here's my Question: Did that station wagon (obviously very unique) survive? I figure IF it survived it would almost have to show up in the Mopar circles and magazines? ....

Another tidbit you guys may enjoy*: My high-school friend's dad owned Pace Chrysler Plymouth on Rt 110 Huntington NY. When his dad (he was called by both sons Chief) would travel to Chrysler Dealer owners meetings, we would cut school for the day and "race" his older brother to the dealership to have first choice of which muscle car(s) we'd put Dealer Tags on and joy ride for the day. I think back on that these were brand spanking new cars we only got 383's and 440's. We did test drive HEMI's on two occasions that were both used. I still laugh at this ****, both sons going to the dealership, just strolling in and grabbing Dealer Plates from the office, taking the car's around to the front of the dealership a the very popular Pace SHELL gas station (part of dealership) to fill up the tanks and taking Mopar muscle cars for the day. To my knowledge not a single employee ever told the owner his boy's were coming in and running the crap out of new muscle cars. No test drive was complete w/o leaving a hundreds of feet of asphalt etching burnouts on local roadways that would last for months. I just believe some of those cars had to be customer ordered................ "Sorry Sir no idea how your new car got 75 miles on it and the rear tires are half-gone!
* Unless you special ordered a Mopar from Pace Motors and it came through a bit "used"

Last edited:
I say it was never built. I've seen all but the hood on Coronets.

No such critter. You could certainly get a 383 and a 4-speed in a Coronet wagon, as several were built. But, these were never offered with scoops, SuperBee decals or emblems, or any other such things. This would've been a Coronet 440 wagon (remember, the "440" designation is for a MODEL and NOT an engine designation!), or a Coronet Deluxe wagon. NEVER a factory SuperBee wagon. Ever.

Well it was obviously built ,by someone. I probably was this guy who got screwed into a family car figured hell I want a big motor 4 speed bright paint ,so he could at least keep up with his friends at the red lights . Then he probably went to the mopar dealer parts store and bought the a body hood scoops and installed him self . Think about it guys go buy new cars all the time then since they couldn't get what they really wanted they make there's look like the cool one . It happens today and it happened 40 + years ago too .
So the only way it could be a real dealer sold car is if it was a back door order (witch we all know it happened) just because we didn't see it doesn't mean it isn't out there sitting in a junk yard .

So to the Ford guy . Go find your mopar and if you can't build one exactly how you remember it . There's a guy by me with a 68 wagon for sale 440 4 speed hood scoops rumble bee strips it is purity cool I must say
Good luck in your hunt you may be onto a real rare car if you find it we need pictures and details

I just recall the car as being really cool. No idea how responders to this thread got the "stripes" on the car - there were no strips no paint lettering. For sure it was the hot green paint and the 4spd. I only recall the car since it was so unique and figured IF it survived it dam well ought to be known by the Mopar community being so unique and desirable. For sure that wagon was "new" back then. I figured if the owner ordered the 4spd w/pistol grip in a family wago, the hot paint, the twin scooped hood, the wheels would have been easy street to get out of the factory.
My Thursday job at that Southampton, Ford Dealer was rotating and detailing all the Ford families cars from their estate on the ocean. There was a loaded black with white interior high back buckets console shift GALAXIE XL w/ never available police interceptor motor that ran like a raped ape in the line-up which was otherwise all Lincoln's/Merc wagon's. I always figured that GALAXIE was Henry's car and equally unique to the Mopar wagon I saw around town.
BTW I still have my red w/parchment 67 390-4spd, non-GT, Mustang Fastback from way back then.

I just recall the car as being really cool. No idea how responders to this thread got the "stripes" on the car - there were no strips no paint lettering. For sure it was the hot green paint and the 4spd. I only recall the car since it was so unique and figured IF it survived it dam well ought to be known by the Mopar community being so unique and desirable. For sure that wagon was "new" back then. I figured if the owner ordered the 4spd w/pistol grip in a family wago, the hot paint, the twin scooped hood, the wheels would have been easy street to get out of the factory.

There is 'possible' and 'probable'.

Since you state it had the pistol grip shifter and if this was factory then the car was a 1970 model. If it was a wagon, then it would be a Coronet Deluxe, 440 or 500 model.

It was possible to order a 383 Magnum pistol grip four speed set up in a 1970 Coronet station wagon. Four speed wagons exist; they are just not common.

"Coronet green"

I'm not sure what color you are describing but all colors available for the Coronet line were available on station wagons. Plus, special color (999) paint would have been a possibility.

silver - w/holes factory wheels

You seem to be describing the 1970 Rallye wheel. These were available on station wagons.

So far, there is really nothing 'special order' about the car. Unless the paint was 999, the options you describe were certainly available to order.

Ramcharger Hood...this is where it gets tricky. The hood was specifically designated for the Super Bee or Coronet R/T. It was not supposed to be available on the other models. Yet, I can't think of a reason that the Ramcharger hood would not physically fit on a station wagon. If it fit a 383 Super Bee, it should fit a wagon. Could some strings have been pulled and the hood installed on a wagon? Maybe...but not likely.

So...what was possible and what was probable applies here. It was possible for the hood to fit but unless there is factory documentation via a broadcast sheet or window sticker that something was done out of the ordinary in the ordering or construction process, it is probable the car did not come that way.

There would be nothing to stop someone from ordering the hood and associated under hood airbox, air cleaner, et al, and painting the hood but that seems like a pretty pricey thing to do in 1970. It seems more probable the set up was taken from a, presumably wrecked, Super Bee and added to the wagon.

You saw what you saw and remember what you remember. What you saw was mostly possible but probably not entirely factory.

Just to be clear guys it sounds like the scoops he's talking about are the small twins on an a body not a ram charger setup witch is a simple modification

Well it looks like the car was available out of the new car sales dept -- I figured it was so new, 70 would be right in there, so nice, so "stock" no Hot Rod equipment: "So far, there is really nothing 'special order' about the car. Unless the paint was 999, the options you describe were certainly available to order." I never noticed the exhaust or at least don't recall it.
Just remembered the car all these years/decades and figured it would be really cool to find out "from guys that would know" if it had survived - I believed it was so unique, it would have been a shoe-in for a Mopar enthusiast magazine article. I NEVER saw a factory built HURST shifted 4spd station wagon anywhere else and this jewel had the wheels, twin-scoops, and hot paint. There was not a kid I knew that did not thrash their Mom's loaded station wagon --- to have a Mom's wagon w/4spd are you shitting me? ..... We had one Greek kid that showed up with his Mom's Mopar wagon and 5-6 of us picked the car's rear up while he nailed it -- we barely got the tires clear of the asphalt and all got plastered with hot asphalt as it burned pavement and tires....
Hell in those day's the AA/F teams often had deluxe loaded station wagons to go to the line with the fuel cars and I doubt any of them even had 4spds

Do you mean twin scoops on the body like my Super Bee or scoops on the hood? Just curious.

I'd love to have seen that wagon, it would have been a cool assembly line slip up if it was produced. Sort of like the three factory produced GTO wagons that got built in 1972.
gto wagon.jpg

I had some expert tell his wife this weekend that my 1969 Coronet R/T was a GTO. Luckily his friend told him it was not a GTO, but a Charger.

there is 'possible' and 'probable'.

Since you state it had the pistol grip shifter and if this was factory then the car was a 1970 model. If it was a wagon, then it would be a coronet deluxe, 440 or 500 model.

It was possible to order a 383 magnum pistol grip four speed set up in a 1970 coronet station wagon. Four speed wagons exist; they are just not common.

I'm not sure what color you are describing but all colors available for the coronet line were available on station wagons. Plus, special color (999) paint would have been a possibility.

You seem to be describing the 1970 rallye wheel. These were available on station wagons.

So far, there is really nothing 'special order' about the car. Unless the paint was 999, the options you describe were certainly available to order.

Ramcharger hood...this is where it gets tricky. The hood was specifically designated for the super bee or coronet r/t. It was not supposed to be available on the other models. Yet, i can't think of a reason that the ramcharger hood would not physically fit on a station wagon. If it fit a 383 super bee, it should fit a wagon. Could some strings have been pulled and the hood installed on a wagon? Maybe...but not likely.

So...what was possible and what was probable applies here. It was possible for the hood to fit but unless there is factory documentation via a broadcast sheet or window sticker that something was done out of the ordinary in the ordering or construction process, it is probable the car did not come that way.

There would be nothing to stop someone from ordering the hood and associated under hood airbox, air cleaner, et al, and painting the hood but that seems like a pretty pricey thing to do in 1970. It seems more probable the set up was taken from a, presumably wrecked, super bee and added to the wagon.

You saw what you saw and remember what you remember. What you saw was mostly possible but probably not entirely factory.

cool!

Since you state it had the pistol grip shifter and if this was factory then the car was a 1970 model. If it was a wagon, then it would be a Coronet Deluxe, 440 or 500 model.

It was possible to order a 383 Magnum pistol grip four speed set up in a 1970 Coronet station wagon. Four speed wagons exist; they are just not common.

Visually then, what he saw could have been born a 1970 Coronet Deluxe 440 or 500 in J5 Sublime or J6 Sassy Grass Green with factory Rallye wheels.

This leaves the hood the main non-factory option here, far as I can ascertain from the discussion. If I'm envisioning this right, I think the OP is describing a 1970 Ramcharger hood - is this it?

sassygrass.jpg

If so, the original owner of that car might have ordered a pair of the scoops off the counter, had them sprayed J5 to match, and bolted them right on. Either that, or he ordered an entire Air Grabber hood, lower plenum, and intake in J5 from the dealer, perhaps.

Same deal as if someone walked into a Ford dealership, bought a '71, '72, or '73 Mustang with the 05 Mach 1 package, and said "add wheel trims to this car" - even though the trim was available on all other Mustangs those years except the Mach. Ditto for non-stripe '71-72s, which came with side moldings unlike the stripe cars - yet, there are tons of them out there with the moldings AND stripes added - and there are enough examples out there to prove this visual assault on what-it's-supposed-to-look-like-because-of-the-factory-rules has been going on since the dealer era.

-Kurt

Here you go guys I did a serious search: The exact same Dual-Scooped Hood, The exact same Color Paint, The exact same Wheels and the exact same Grille. After 40+ years I recall there were not any decals or anything special about the exhaust that "stuck" out.....I can't recall if it had buckets or bench seat but for sure the interior was black and of course it had that fancy 4spd shifter that was not sticking through the carpeted floor hump - like my stripped non-GT 67 Mustang. For some reason I know it was a 383 but not sure why/how I knew - though I never saw under the hood. Sucks a car that cool didn't survive or any Mopar aficionado's don't recall her.
Personally I'd be shocked if that ride was not "as delivered" because if you got the 4spd and color on a wagon the scoops would have been easy-street. (someone said - painted and added?" ................BTW were those scoops functional?..................... Cheers!
http://fastmusclecar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/dodge-12.jpg

http://image.moparmusclemagazine.co..._dodge_coronet_rt+interior_view_dashboard.jpg

Last edited:
What I said is quite likely the answer then. Wagon ordered in a wild color with a hood bought from the dealer to match.

-Kurt

70 coronet wgn

Back in the early 70's at a dealership that I worked, they traded in a 70 coronet wgn. It was ordered with a 383HP and a pistol grip 4 speed. I talked to nice lady that owned it and she personally ordered the car herself because she wanted a 4 speed.As per Galens books there were 3 of these wagons built.The car was light green or gold and a bench seat.Sadly the car got crushed before it was realized how rare a car it was.
A friend of mine got the pistol grip out of it.
Jeff

I learned to drive in my parents 1964 Dodge 330, wagon. It was a factory 383/4-speed. No options, white, with a red interior. They bought it out of the executive pool in 64. I beat a bunch of musclecars with that thing. The weight-transfer was great on the street. My parents looked at a used one with a 426 wedge/4-speed as well. It was dark turquoise.

I also remember a 71 Crestwood wagon that used to occassionaly sit at the starting-line area at Detroit Dragway when I was a kid. It was orange/woodgrain, 383/4-speed, bucket seats, rim-blow wheel, rally-wheels. I'm sure it was original and a factory exec/pool car.

Actual muscle-car scoops and emblems on a factory mopar wagon........I say no. Weird driveline and available standard options. Chrysler made plenty of weird cars. The weirdest color combo mopar I owned, was a 69 Coronet R/T. 440/4-speed, Ramcharger hood. B5 outside and dark green interior. It was on the code plate.

Auto Transport Service
Back