• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick down linkage/cable

Yennes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
Hi FBBO,

wanted to ask how you drive your car. Do you all have the "original" linkage for the kick down or do you drive with a cable?

Do you have any experiences in the form of pro/con to the respective type? You can get a rope for 50$ whereas a complete linkage is 300$.

My question is: Does it make a difference?

Thanks
Yannik

The Lokar cable system or even the Summit Racing version of it works very well and easy to adjust. There is no difference between the cable and the linkage as far as the tranny is concerned, it don't know whats moving the lever. If your a purist of course you will want the factory linkage.

Using certain aftermarket intakes it's just easier to use a kickdown cable. 440'

I bought a Chinesium cable kit for $21.00. No quality difference than a Lokar as far as I can tell.
Like was posted above, if it's adjusted correctly the trans won't know any dif. The important thing
is that the kickdown linkage works as designed! If you use an other-than-stock manifold, you'll
probably need a cable unless you want to re-invent the wheel.

I use a modified version of the kickdown cable found on the later evolution of the 727/904 transmission the 42RE/46RE and it works great! Car kicks down at wot and shifts nice a firm.

The Lokar cable system or even the Summit Racing version of it works very well and easy to adjust. There is no difference between the cable and the linkage as far as the tranny is concerned, it don't know whats moving the lever. If your a purist of course you will want the factory linkage.
Hi FBBO,

wanted to ask how you drive your car. Do you all have the "original" linkage for the kick down or do you drive with a cable?

Do you have any experiences in the form of pro/con to the respective type? You can get a rope for 50$ whereas a complete linkage is 300$.

My question is: Does it make a difference?

Thanks
Yannik
The main thing is the movement of the throttle pressure control valve in the transmission. If you have the pan off hook up the cable or linkage whatever works best for your combo. Have somebody step the throttle to the floor and watch the throttle valve. At idle the lever should just touch the throttle valve and at wide open throttle it should just bottom out the valve. If it puts too much stress on the throttle valve at WOT it can bend the bracket and cause sticking of the valve. On a mopar trans the throttle pressure helps control main line rise pressure. As throttle increases main line has to increase, if it does not you get poor shifts, and it can even burn up the clutches. This relationship of throttle movement and the movement of the valve is super critical. If you look there are several lengths throttle levers for mopar transmissions the longer the lever the more movement is needed, couple that to where you hook the cable or linkage on the carburetor and you can easily have problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back