• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kids and 60s cars

shawneen13

Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering how that works with all of the new laws and such. I have 3 boys 2, 4, 5 and one on the way. Can my oldest sit up front? He is in a belt positioning booster but my car 1966 plymouth belevedere only has lap belts, I think that renders his booster useless, right? So is it necessary? My plymouth is about to become my daily driver.
Shawneen

Each state is specific. your best bet is probably check with the DMV.

fire dep. is also a good to check . They do a class on how to use car seat the right way some times even give the right seat if yours is to big or to small. 4'9" I think is the hight for no booster

I'd say it could be cumbersome but look for a vintage seat and research the safty and compatability. It would also make an interesting conversation piece.

I have been wondering the same thing. I always just buckle my 3 up with the lap belts. 2 in the back and the oldest in the front. Not sure if it is legal, but it is not my daily driver.

my son is 3 and i put him in the front of my 65. he sits on his booster and strapped down with the lap belt, seen plenty of cops and no issues so far !

Wondering the same thing. A few weeks back my brother was here with his 7 year old son - who just had to go for a ride in the 62' Plymouth. Trouble was no belts at all for a booster seat .... what do you do in these cases?

Wondering the same thing. A few weeks back my brother was here with his 7 year old son - who just had to go for a ride in the 62' Plymouth. Trouble was no belts at all for a booster seat .... what do you do in these cases?

no front lap belts ?

The car had no front belts. As such by NC law the car does not need belts and the occupants are not required to wear any. Trouble is I don't know how this works with kids. By law here in NC they are supposed to ride in the rear and in a booster seat until 85lbs.

yeah im pretty sure my son is supposed to be in the back seat also, but the only belts are in the front ...... you could always use a ratchet strap !! haha !!:idea1:

I would think the same laws apply to our old cars as they do to today's, even if it is just a lap belt. I would never put my kids (4 and 6) in the front seat at their age, because it would still be illegal in a modern car, but that's just me. As far as no belts, I personally would never put my child in there.

Of course, this is all just my conjecture. Your best bet will be to drive down to the closest fire station, and check with them. Take the car and I'm sure you'll have no problem getting their attention. Most of them are car guys just like us, so no standing in line for hours on end, and police stations don't ever seem to have enough time to answer questions like this.

Hi there, just to add my two bob's worth. With my 69 Charger I'm adding lap/sash belts in the rear specifically for my 7 yo son. Ok so it won't be original but I only have one if him. If you consider cost to be the factor you may get recover your costs but piece of mind is priceless

I guess if I had young kids that rode witgh me a lot I would go ahead and install belts in my car - front and rear. But my car is not really collectable or original either. If I had a nice correct, collectable car I might have a harder time doing it.
Part of me also believes they have gone way overboard on these safety requirements for kids too. Belts I can understand but when my brother told me that all kids under 80 or 85 lbs have to ride in the back seat on one of those boosters I could not help but think it was way overboard. Little kids I could understand, but 7-8 year olds and in the rear of the car only, on those booster seats ........

For me the issue is two fold. What's legal and what's safe? I just don't feel right having someone ride in my car without the option of a seatbelt. So I put rear belts in my Belvedere. They are just lap belts but they are better than nothing. My law enforcement friends in WI tell me the seatbelt laws apply even to cars that didn't come with them. I never checked beyond that because I thought it was the right thing to do anyway. As a firefighter, I've seen people die who didn't have to because they chose to not wear a seatbelt. Sorry for the soapbox.

Dave

i only take my son with me every now and then ( carshow, store, etc.... ) but he is always buckled up ! ...

I guess if I had young kids that rode witgh me a lot I would go ahead and install belts in my car - front and rear. But my car is not really collectable or original either. If I had a nice correct, collectable car I might have a harder time doing it.
Part of me also believes they have gone way overboard on these safety requirements for kids too. Belts I can understand but when my brother told me that all kids under 80 or 85 lbs have to ride in the back seat on one of those boosters I could not help but think it was way overboard. Little kids I could understand, but 7-8 year olds and in the rear of the car only, on those booster seats ........

Im not sure how to answer the kid question but if you install seat belts in your vehicle in NC in a vehicle that did not originally have them THEN each passenger in that car has to be wearing one at all times. I had a set in an old 56 chevy drag truck i had to keep hid. If they see them they can ticket you.

As a firefighter, I've seen people die who didn't have to because they chose to not wear a seatbelt. Sorry for the soapbox.

That may be so but there are people who have died due to a seatbelt. I know the odds are better wearing one MOST of the time. I was hit on the interstate running over 60 about 2 1/2 yrs ago. I was thrown out of my 78 cj7 and lived. There is no way i would have survived in the jeep. It barrel rolled down the median before landing on its tires. I guess when its your time God takes you.

Im not sure how to answer the kid question but if you install seat belts in your vehicle in NC in a vehicle that did not originally have them THEN each passenger in that car has to be wearing one at all times. I had a set in an old 56 chevy drag truck i had to keep hid. If they see them they can ticket you.

Yup, you are correct. I did install a set of laps for the passenger and I have a 5 point for the driver which get latched when we tool around. I don't put on the full 5 point just the lap belts. I still don't have anything in the rear. It's almost never that anyone ever rides in the back so really no need.

Auto Transport Service
Back