• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kitty litter for winter storage

mightymopar

Local time
11:18 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone used kitty litter for winter storage in their cars? Like a container in the front and back and one in the trunk?

I've never used kitty litter. Just be careful what you do use. My brother used moth balls and could never get the smell out of the car. No one would buy it - he eventually donated it. I've heard the clothes softening paper you use in the dryer works well - but I would get some expert advice from other members that have uses various things.

ive never used anything - car is in Minnesota and never had a problem. Good luck.

Not cat litter, but I have used dryer sheets with good results.

I buy desiccate packs from YearOne. They are maybe 6" x 4" and work for several seasons.

_

i have about a 1/2 dozen barn cats around that are the first line of defense but i do have to remind the other half to back off the feeding for a bit this time of the year. then i put one of these in a corner of each shop with anti-freeze in it and that is peanut butter on the can. this year i will put one in the motor home also.
we use to put a couple of them in the hunt camp up north and it was nothing to have a dozen in each can. we used 5 gal cans but that can be scaled down to 3 gal ones in the trunk. they do work.

Attachments

• DIY-Mouse-Trap.jpg
    DIY-Mouse-Trap.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 287
Tractor Supply sells these potpourri sachets that work really well!

visors down....car cover....decon in and around car.....works fine to date..replace decon as needed...sweep up dead mice in spring

Dryer sheets have been hit or miss with cars in storage. Mouse traps seem to be the best deterrent. Just check them often.

There's some stuff they use in boating such as Damp Rid and Damp Check.

I m taking the advice about the Fresh Cab for the rodent problem. I am also using a car cover to protect the body from bird droppings. As this is my first time of storing my Project car, I am very thankful for the advice.

Damp rid works good. That have hanging bags you can hook to rear view mirror and in trunk area

3 years ago i had a issue with mice, used dryer sheets all over interior floors , seats about 14 sheets and about 6 sheets in trunk and never had issue since , 3 seperate cars. i did try to start them and run heater about every 2 weeks when i could. cars did keep a good smell too. plus i keep drip chargers on them with full tanks.

I`ve used cab fresh for years. It`s a great product but does need to be changed out every few months. It will attract mice if left to long.

Glad I live in California, it's a much dryer/less climate, with less humidity,
at-least where I've lived, some extreme parts of SoCal are really humid,
some of the Sierras are really prone to moisture issues too...
But IMO it's nothing like the Midwest or northeast & southeast,
with far less mice issues too, especially than the plains states...

Open the doors & garage every so often, let the sunshine in, dry it out
& fire up the car at a min., just sitting is the worst thing for any car...

Great living here, well except for the lame liberals in politics...LOL

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=moisture+absorption

My engine builder claims that the fluctuations in temperature, such as opening and closing the doors, causes condensation to accumulate on parts. He told me to start the car every few weeks and let it come up to temperature (may take 15-20 minutes sitting cold) and let it run in the garage (well ventilated) if it can not be driven due to the weather or snow. The heat of the engine will evaporate the moisture and this will also open or close a different valve that may have been opened on shut-down before. My co-worker goes a little more extreme and sends his cars to an old sandstone mine in Brady's Bend, PA for storage.

http://bradysbend.com/

i added a gas fired unit heater, to keep the carage at 45. half assed put up some foam board for insulation. to do so properly, means moving alot of crap out of the way.
my intention was to let her sit, tank full, trickle charge occasionally.
mouse traps are baited and set. puppy tries to get at them every chance
you guys think letting her run 20 minutes every coupla weeks is acceptable?

Auto Transport Service
Back