• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large fan no shroud or small fan and shroud?

My crank pulley diameter and water pump pulley diameter are the same. I've just ordered a Flowkooler pump. I'm wondering if I should try to locate a smaller diameter water pump pulley to overdrive it a little, to assist in cooling when at idle, which is where I'm having the issue. Both pulleys measure out at 6.75" as best as I can tell. Maybe the Flowkooler pump alone will do the job.
Yes, your WP should be overdriven. I use a flowkooler n my water pump is o/d. Again, in 125° mine works great. In 90°, I can barely get 196 at idle w 180 stat.

Apparently the undersized(overdrive)water pump pulleys were used on HP 383's and 440's. A local guy has two, and is holding one for me. So I'll be able to add the overdrive pulley and the Flowkooler pump when I'm home in a couple weeks. As always, thank you so much to everyone for all the guidance and advice. I'll post again when it's all done end of July.

Apparently the undersized(overdrive)water pump pulleys were used on HP 383's and 440's. A local guy has two, and is holding one for me. So I'll be able to add the overdrive pulley and the Flowkooler pump when I'm home in a couple weeks. As always, thank you so much to everyone for all the guidance and advice. I'll post again when it's all done end of July.
I recently installed a smallblock WP pulley. Same depth smaller diameter. I can take pics if needed. Made a big difference. Also added the same Mancini shroud and Water Wetter. I dont go over 195 at all now in all conditions. Before I would overheat from sitting and or ildling after a while.

Auto Transport Service
Back