• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

laser type temp on exhaust headers

dragrazor

Local time
9:21 PM
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has tested their headers to compare surface temps, on a 572RB 14:1 comp MPFI ? Stainless with Jet-Hot coating home built

20210415_071337.jpg

Very nice looking headers!
I have a mild 440 with MPFI and temps at the port plus 1 in is about 600° at idle. @ 13.6ish

I have a mild 440 with MPFI and temps at the port plus 1 in is about 600° at idle. @ 13.6ish
Thank you for the compliment, only ran it till operating temp and mine were in that 500+ zone. numbers 1 thru 7 about 50degrees + hotter on that side. Also timing not checked via the damper yet. ECU only so far, really like the serpentine till trying to read the damper markings.

intake was sucking too much oil as well. Correcting that today. Plus not fully tuned as needs to be. still learning about computer graph and screens. Did look at plugs quite similar from the 400 degree side to the low 300 side ?? thanks for the reply will keep informed with progress or NOT< ugh :)

IR laser readings on those headers will probably be inaccurate and will definitely vary depending on where you're taking the temp. Emissivity impacts the accuracy of your reading, and shiny/reflective objects are the most difficult to get an accurate reading on. So on your headers, cylinder 2 and 4 may give pretty different readings due to the color differences, even if the temp is the same.

I guess my point is, don't take the readings as accurate. You can, however, use them to compare one tube to the next (assuming similar color/sheen) or compare each cylinder to itself while doing some tuning.

IR laser readings on those headers will probably be inaccurate and will definitely vary depending on where you're taking the temp. Emissivity impacts the accuracy of your reading, and shiny/reflective objects are the most difficult to get an accurate reading on. So on your headers, cylinder 2 and 4 may give pretty different readings due to the color differences, even if the temp is the same.

I guess my point is, don't take the readings as accurate. You can, however, use them to compare one tube to the next (assuming similar color/sheen) or compare each cylinder to itself while doing some tuning.
Thanks, didn't realize that they may be that inaccurate. Ceramic off white to light gray JET-HOT coating colors( do not remember their name of it) are consistent. plugs were nearly identical from hot side to not as hot side.........

Auto Transport Service
Back