• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late B body, back brake touchiness

volaredon

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
I have a 78 Fury 2 door. 56K original miles. Ever since I got it the rear brakes (original factory 10" drums) have been have been extremely touchy, since I bought the car. (2007, 38k miles) I've had a 76 Charger SE, a 75 Cordoba, plus my Dad had a couple of B body wagons back when I 1st started driving in the 80s. Every one has been this way. Once a few stops are made the touchiness gets much less. I feel it is a "nature of the beast" type of issue, since every one of teh B bodies listed above acted exactly the same way. Original brakes, replacement brakes, hasn't mattered. 10" brakes, 11" brakes likewise. Yet other Mopars with the same exact brakes (pickups, vans, F bodies, M bodies, C bodies, older B bodies) have not acted this way.
Ive heard other late-B body owners talk about experiencing the same thing.
Any input?

Have you tried backing them off a bit and see if it goes away?? At least temporarily.... Certain types of driving can encourage overactive adjusters, such as very little heavy braking, coupled with a stronger amount of backups. I'm guessing it's possible they could have had a less than perfect proportioning valve on certain years or models.

had the adjusters all over//// no change. Im a fleet mechanic for the state I live in, Ive worked on lots of drum brakes.... and it isn't "just THIS car".... every 75+ B body I have ever driven has done what I am talking about.

Been a long time since I’ve driven a B-body that didn’t have a front disc conversion, but believe it’s the result of the factory proportioning delivering more fluid pressure to the back that it should have, coupled with soft-ish front suspension that allows weight to shift to the front too quickly in hard braking. Or in semi physics-speak: braking causes the car to pitch forward on its suspension and decrease the static friction available on the rear tires and increase that on the front. The rear tires begin to slide because the available friction is less than the friction to prevent sliding.

this is no "front disc brake conversion".... it has front disc/rear drum but it's all as delivered from factory. and seems peculiar to these cars....

Been a long time since I’ve driven a B-body that didn’t have a front disc conversion, but believe it’s the result of the factory proportioning delivering more fluid pressure to the back that it should have, coupled with soft-ish front suspension that allows weight to shift to the front too quickly in hard braking. Or in semi physics-speak: braking causes the car to pitch forward on its suspension and decrease the static friction available on the rear tires and increase that on the front. The rear tires begin to slide because the available friction is less than the friction to prevent sliding.
Sorry misread your original post.
this is no "front disc brake conversion".... it has front disc/rear drum but it's all as delivered from factory. and seems peculiar to these cars....
Sorry misread your original post.

Auto Transport Service
Back