• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lead Additive Lets hear those stories

Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
Looking to hear stories(opinion,or ideas) good, bad, or ugly about using; or not using lead additive on non-heat-treated valve seats.

A local machine shop said that hardened seats weren't needed unless I was racing or towing. He wasn't specific on weather lead should be added to my fuel.

I use the lead additive in mine hardened seats or not.....Lead boosts octane a bit, protects valve seats and cleans carb deposits...

It is rather inexpensive, these cars were born using it....

To the green huggers....I don't care, lol!

A friend of mine thought he had a connection to buy Toluene. It fell through.
I would rather buy a 5 gallon drum of 110 leaded and just add a bit to a full tank of 91.

A friend of mine thought he had a connection to buy Toluene. It fell through.
I would rather buy a 5 gallon drum of 110 leaded and just add a bit to a full tank of 91.
Some areas that may not be available....If it was I agree...

use these in every tank if you can get it use it :thumbsup: came at the top of the reviews biggest boost to octane

Kern Dog, not sure if they still have it but I did buy Toluene at Sherwin Williams paint store years back.

Is there a mixture ratio for Toluene to gas?

Leaded racing fuel might have more lead by volume than the additive IIRC. Also your shop is probably correct in that there is no real reason to go with hardened seats unless you are putting on serious miles or towing.
Just my 2¢

Auto Transport Service
Back